1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happines is a warm gun

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by will35x, Aug 25, 2012.

1. will35x

will35x

Mar 16, 2012
    hi people, im not pro, im playing about a year because i love the sound of the bass. I really appreciate comments to improve my playing, if you got the time and patience.
    Thanks
    Will

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    It sounds pretty good, you've almost got it.

Some constructive advice - your left hand posture is at like a 45 degree angle to the frets. See if you can't get your left fingers more parallel to the frets and get your thumb down on the back of the neck. You want the fleshy part of your thumb on the skunk stripe. But don't forget - rules are meant to be broken - so those aren't hard and fast rules. But bad posture will slow you down in the future though.

It also seems you're traveling around on the neck a lot to play the song. This may be necessary or may not be - I'll re-learn the song to see if there's a more efficient way of playing it. Again - not hard and fast rules. A lot of times I like to play the fatter strings for their tone rather than doing what is most efficient.

All and all pretty darn good.

3. will35x

will35x

Mar 16, 2012
    thanks for your advice, I find them very useful and logical, thanks!

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    happiness_warm_gun.

Sorry for the sloppiness - I recycled some TAB paper. I don't remember how much of the song you did so I just did the first part.

As suspected, there's no need to travel all around the fretboard...

The intro is in E - the verse goes from D to A, which is convenient because we can stay in the same D minor pentatonic pattern - which I tabbed out for you on the bottom. The root note (D) is on the 5th fret of the A string. This is a popular pattern because we have notes we can play above and below the root note. Sir Paul is just basically playing roots and 5ths. 5ths are located on the same fret as the root note one string below or two frets up one string higher. 5ths are our friend because they fit just about anywhere in rock music.

You can move that pattern to any key - just put the root note played on the A string where the D is now in respect to the pattern and voila. For example an E minor pent using that pattern would be:

G: 7 - *9*
    D: 7 - 9
    A: *7* - 10
    E: 7 - 10

* = root note (E)

You'll notice the high notes at the end of the TAB use the E minor pent pattern.

Does that all make sense? Oh, and ||: :|| seen in the TAB = repeat.

Good luck!

5. will35x

will35x

Mar 16, 2012
    Thanks!