1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happiness is a new set of Gamuts!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bobby King, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I recently sold a guitar to fund a new set of Gamut gut strings. I got the full set in Light+ gauge -- Larson's standard set with Silver Wound E&A, Pistoy D and Lyon G. I've had assorted Gamuts before but never a full set all in the same gauge. It is, how shall I say, marvelous! I wouldn't mind a little more tension on the low strings, but I've had Gamut mediums and I think that these Light+ speak more clearly. So I raised the action a tad. Also, now I have a full spare gut set in decent shape. Happy, happy! Love my gut strings :hyper:

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Hey Bobby,

Happiness=tuning? :D

I kid, I kid! I love 'em too, old or new! I can't tell you how nice it is to know that you have a full set of stretched in strings waiting should you need them! Well, I don't have to tell you, cause now you know! :D

Joe

3. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    OK, I've had them on for a few hours and they're starting to settle a bit. I'm at the point where I play a tune and then tune a little, play, tune, repeat. It doesn't change drastically. I know overnight they'll drop a bunch. There's too much "wah-wah" about gut string tuning. It's not THAT huge of an issue :D. Like I've said, you just have to learn to think like a gut string so you can anticipate what it's going to do. I have a rehearsal tonight and a gig on Thursday night, I'm sure it will be fine.

4. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I just put on a new G and D. Both Pistoy. Both light plus. This is my first experience with gut and the sound is great initially but I'm constantly needing to tune. Any idea how long before they settle in? Will the process be faster the more/ hard I play on them? :confused: Thanks!

5. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    @ tomshepp: Gut strings will never actually settle in like steel strings, they are always going to respond to changes in temperature and humidity. Once guts are played in and have stretched, they'll move around less, but they will never have the stability of steel strings. What I find is that guts need maybe 15-30 minutes to acclimate to any given situation, and then they will remain reasonably stable. What they hate is going from heat to air conditioning and vice versa, humid to dry, etc. So I always try and get to the gig, tune up and play a little, try and have my bass on stage (not going right from cold dressing room to hot stage,) etc. But no matter what, you still have to do plenty of spot-check tuning periodically, and keep a tuner in line or use one of those clip on tuners. Unfortunately, if you like using guts, this goes with the territory.

6. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I find my Pistoys to be amazingly stable- well, for gut! :smug:
    They seldom move, and if they do it's usually less than a half step. They are on a ply, which is usually going to move less than a carved bass, so maybe that helps...and they are very well settled in.

I find the biggest challenges with my E- which is a copper wound Gamut medium. It moves a lot- like Bobby sez, climatic change is the enemy! Going from a controlled climate to an uncontrolled one, and then back to controlled is like a see-saw.

Sometimes, if the E moves a LOT, the change in tension will affect my other strings...that's when things can get really dicey- but it rarely happens.

The price you pay for the sound of gut is that you have to really REALLY listen- but we should be doing that anyway! :D

Joe

7. Bobby King

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    DC Bass -- I agree. The plain guts will eventually settle down to where they relatively stable. The metal wound guts are more unstable -- maybe because the metal and gut material responds simultaneously yet
    differently to temperature?

8. tomshepp

tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    I played on them a bunch today and they're much better now. Thanks! Now I need to find a good E and A.

9. lrhbass

lrhbass Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Dallas,Tx.
    Bobby,
    Are you still using this set up? And how has it worked out for you this time? How is the E-A gut set up compared to the E-A Garbo Set up, that I think you have used in the past. I am currently using D-G Gamut,E-A Garbo,and curious about going, wrapped Gamut on E-A. I tried the pure Gut A,a couple of months ago. Did not work well on my Bass. I am pretty happy with Garbos,but always curious about further experiments with the full gut setup..any comments and or observations would be helpful...