Happy 55th Anniversary GHS Strings!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Linnin, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Founded August 1st, 1964. Yes, there is a special sale today. Also in the new Wire Tap newsletter @Jon Moody states "I'm on a hunt to find out the year that Boomers were introduced."

One Way, 19sixty3, Spidey2112 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Oh, I'm pretty sure I found it. Still would like some solid confirmation, but I've got good research that points to 1975 being the year Boomers came out.

Also found specs for strings that Dave Holcomb (son of OB and Mae Holcomb, the H in GHS) worked with Leo Fender on for CLF Research.

e-flat, Arthur U. Poon and Linnin like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I was thinking '74 or '75 was when I first saw them and tried them as an alternative for the over priced and hard to get Rotosound Swing Bass 66s.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    This is exceedingly fascinating. These would be the 'Brite Flats', yes? A major milestone in American string winding innovation and history. Looking forward to reading the entire story. A real feather in the GHS cap.

5. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    NOPE.

Something completely different.

Linnin likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Even more curious ...

7. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'd just been reading about GHS Precision flats as I researched changing up my strings on my Rumblekat (nothing wrong with the TI jazz flats I have, just fancied a change).
    Up popped this thread, mentioning a sale, so off I go to the GHS site, where after some deliberation about which set I wanted, I attempted to order a set.
    Sadly, it seems GHS doesn't ship to Ireland.:(

Still, I'll wish the good folks a happy birthday...pretty impressive to survive in any business for so long these days.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I’m talking with the folk over at G&L about this, since it’s their 40th anniversary next year.

I’d love to do a limited release on these, but if that happens, I want the blessing of the people carrying Leo’s torch first.

Yeah, we don’t ship internationally on our own site. We do, however, have many amazing dealers (like Fret Nation) that do, and can easily get you those Precision Flats.

Arthur U. Poon, dagrev and Linnin like this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Exceedingly Important. I Wish You Well.

10. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I just ordered a set from @SLaPiNFuNK 's Fret Nation site, thanks!

11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    and now even more!

trothwell and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    1975?! That's cool to hear! I remember seeing Bass Boomers on the shelf at my local Mom & Pop music store in 1976 or 77, -shortly after I started playing. IIRC, the package had the exploding stick of dynamite on it.

BTW I bought my first set of Brite Flats in 1978 or 79. In fact, I still use BFs on my '76 Rickenbacker 4001.

13. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    cool. I just put a set of classic Boomers (.40-.95) on my fretless. Sounding good. I haven't tried them in many years.

I do wish GHS would at least print somewhere on the package that the strings are nickel rounds - that is what I wanted, but making it mysterious was frustrating at the time.

I first heard of Boomers as a recommendation for electric guitar strings. Ah, the Kramer Stryker. Candy Apple Red, Floyd Rose Tremolo. Good times. I destroyed the neck of that guitar by excessive tremolo use :bassist:

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  14. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    I love good ol hex core Boomers. I was a DR guy for years but GHS won me over.

Spidey2112, Arthur U. Poon and Linnin like this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    For those of you that missed it live. The sound is lackluster at best. Yet the historical information is top notch. I hope to see an accurate history of GHS Strings materialize.

16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    2817 Wilber Street

17. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    2813. I checked my business card once the stream was over ;)

Linnin likes this.
  18. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    I've been a roto sound guy forever but want to try GHS. I use 66 stainless, what would be comparable?

19. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Super Steels, these strings are excellent. They even make a set in 45/65/80/105 (CM5000) similar to that of Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Standard Gauge (RS66LD). And the silks are silver-grey, if I remember correctly, which is super nice on a black headstock :cool:

michael_t and wolfkeller like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021