1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happy Anniversary! - $100 Pre CBS 1962 Shellpink Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1SHOT1HIT, Feb 12, 2018.

1. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    34C23F68-5AA4-4304-927D-75584CFD6EEB. 1AAA7202-0D64-45AF-BBE7-BDF1460FDC03.

Move/Delete if posted in the wrong area.
    I wasn’t sure, my apologies if so.

Just wanted to share a cool pic.
    Well.......
    6 years ago on the very date today, I purchased the greatest bass I’ll ever own for $100
    Just wanted to share with the community a picture I received today of it from the original owner’s family.

The infamous bass that stirred up WAY more drama here on TB than it ever really should have or needed to, started fights, got some members banned, threads deleted & some people inconsolably upset is still with me, safely tucked away in its case always ready to play.

Sad to say.....A family member reached out to give me the sad news that the basses original owner did indeed pass away this month. RIP!!!!
    We all thought he’d already passed back then only to find out he was very much still alive. I was fortunate enough to get many great stories about him & the bass over these past several years.
    Oddly enough, she also randomly sent me a picture her & I both had never seen before of him playing a gig with the bass way back then.
    Again, just wanted to share.
    I thought it was incredibly cool & even cooler that it shows up 6 Years later to the very day that I bought this amazing instrument.

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I was wondering what happened to you.
    Glad you’re still around because the weekend you posted that thread I was glued to TB in real time.
    Best show I ever watched

3. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Link to original post?

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I remember this bass. You sent photos to Gruhn and they told you it was a refin (so did all of the TB posters who would know), but you kept insisting it wasn't. What did you ever decide?

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Just curious, why did you think the original owner had passed on 6 years ago?

joebar and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Oh no. Here we go again. I need popcorn. And lots of it.

Should I hate myself for giving items that have value away to the Goodwill?

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember selling an in demand custom knife by a maker who is now dead for $400 when it was worth at least $1,000 or $1,200. I should have known something when it was claimed within five minutes. After it was gone, I realized I had seriously shorted myself, but I was not mad because it was my duty to research the market. In my opinion, if a buyer wants to be a do gooder and tell a seller the true market value, that is great. If the buyer snaps up the good deal, cool. I believe that we all get great breaks at times, but we get reamed at other times.

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    It was deleted after things went completely crazy.

9. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    The family sent a sentimental photo to the buyer six years after the purchase. There is no ill will there or spite. Sometimes people take joy in giving stuff away to others who will use it and cherish it.

Booty Shaman, MDBass, Chef and 18 others like this.
  10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Nothing has changed.

Gruhn’s guys never made a definitive call either way, some of the staff felt one way others felt another.
    It’s a mystery that may never be known & since its not up for sale, remains unimportant.

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    That was the story I was given by the guy I bought it from.

MobileHolmes and Garret Graves like this.
  12. stefanb

stefanb

Sep 14, 2017
    Toronto
    Buying and selling Bass guitars for their exact market value seems to be an incredibly hot topic around here, more than I've ever seen. Does this forum have a disproportionate amount of perfect, law abiding, morally grounded individuals that have never found themselves in a personally beneficial situation before? I would guess it's all just thiny-vieled jealousy :p

mesaplayer83, jhb138, flojob and 11 others like this.
  13. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Agreed, but I also had absolutely no clue what I had at the time when I purchased this.
    For all I knew, it was worth $100

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Something tells me you’d be making a very safe guess.

ICM, fhm555, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  16. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    You admit here that someone from the owner's family confirmed that it was refinished by an auto body shop:
    Vintage 62 J Bass Care, Preservation and maintenance tips needed ? ? ?
    "I did ask the family member briefly about it and she confirmed that it was done at an auto shop to assure a very high quality of work."

Also, there was no confusion from anyone at Gruhn. Would you mind posting your letter from them again? At some point this bass will be sold, and you seem determined to pass it off as an original finish.

17. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    As Jackie Gleason said:

"A little traveling music, Sammy. And awaaay we go!"

18. Subbed

Blackjac97 and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Back in 1983 I worked with a young kid who learned that I played bass. He said he had a Fender bass. I asked what model it was and he replied that it just said Fender. He bought it by for me to check out. I'll never forget he shows up in a Ford Courier Pickup and took it out of the bed. No case or anything. It was a '65 Jazz refinished black and missing the 13th fret for some reason. Had oversized screws in the pickguard but was otherwise all original. I gave him $65 and a mid 70's Big Muff Pi for it. That was all I could offer at the time and he agreed.

20. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012