1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happy B-Day to Me NAD and a question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Nabbed this GK 1001RBII head last night as a birthday present to myself. It's in excellent condition and sounds fantastic! Got a great deal on it too.

So now my question is what cabinet to pair it with. I have an Ampeg PF115he cabinet for my PF350 head but now I'm not sure if I will keep the Ampeg gear. Should I get a GK cabinet to take advantage of the horn biamp feature? Does it make that much of a difference to the sound? How do the MBE cabinets compare to the other GK cabs? I like the light weight design but will they hold up with this head? This is my first piece of GK equipment so any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    First off, congrats on the head! It's the same one I've been using for some time now, and I love it.

I use two Neo 212 cabinets, and honestly if you're interested in the distinct GK tone the market for Neo cabinets is pretty good. I think the difference between an MBE cabinet and a Neo is worth the money. Look at the Talkbass classifieds, there are often a lot of Neo's for sale.

The pseudo-biamp tone is very nice and (IMO) very different, but it's hardly necessary to get a good sound out of the head. I use the function but have the tweeter volume fairly low.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Nice amp. You can run it with your cab if you like or get another one, up to your ear there. I consider the tweeter amp thing somewhat of a gimmicky add-on but it will sound cleaner than the built in filter in some cabs. You might like it, but it's not a necessity at all. You can run full range to any cab and use the tweeter attenuator on the cab just the same.

4. +1 to getting a GK Neo to pair with it! If you're looking for a single cab solution that'll get the most out of the 1001, I'd personally go with the 212. If you'd rather the modular type thing, 2x112s would be sweet too.

EDIT: Forgot to add, congrats on the new head! Enjoy it :bassist:

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    As with any manufacturer you have to go out and audition the cabinets to see which will give you what you are looking for. Could well be that you might hate GK cabinets or love them. Only you will be able to decide.

6. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I use to have a 700RB-II head and it worked great with many cabs. I used it with a Fearful 12/6, an Avatar 4x10 and a Goliath II 4x10. I don't think you can go wrong with any cab. Depends on you volume requirements and your car. Anyway it sounded great with all of them. Cangrats on the head and happy BD.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Agreed, audition it with a lot of cabs. I'd think your pf wouldn't have the oomph to take full advantage of this amp. One thing's for sure, you'll never want for more power. It'd be a great amp to pair with a fEARful or other 3015LF based 2 or 3 way variant. A lot of that GK signature tone, detail and growl is in the mids, that dedicated mid cone will make the most of that and really spread it around the room. It also has enough juice to send 2 of those woofers to nearly full output. You've got a very good, very powerful amp there, why settle for normal on the speaker end?

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Happy Birthday, pal. Nice buy.

9. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    That's alot of amp to use on a single 15" cab... I run my 1001RB II with an Ampeg 810E and get great results.....

10. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I frequently run a single 15 with mine, but you want to watch the volume and I wouldn't over EQ the bass. Use your ears and you should be fine.

11. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    That was my thought as well. Seems like at least two 1x15's, a 4x10 or a 2x12 would be better.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If we want to play "get this 'cause I think it's the best", here's my fantasy rig for your amp.

This would consist of 2 fEARful's but not exactly identical ones. Do 1 standard 15/6 with the 2-way crossover, then do one 15/6/1 with reverse baffle but the same crossover from the 2-way leaving the tweeter out of the circuit. Then use the GK crossover/tweeter amp function to control the tweeter separately. This will cut your 6's off at 5khz. Dial the tweeter in for clean tone, take it out for overdrive/grind at the amp. This would maintain the 5k rolloff for the dirt tone. This would be one of the most versatile, and loudest rigs here. You'd have the option of running the 15/6/1 the same way on it's own.

Include a set of these in your purchase.....

[​IMG]

This sure is easy when you're spending someone elses money...no wonder politicians keep running for re-election.:D

13. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Happy b-day and congrats on the new addition. I am a bass noob so i can't give you advice, but just wanted to send the b-day wishes.

14. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Happy BDay! Nice birthday gift!

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OP I'm a forgetful old fart!!! Happy birthday my brother! Mine's on the 24th. Unfortunately it'll make me 66 and mark fifty years as a bass player.

<sigh> I hate gettin' old! :bawl:

16. gjbassist

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for all the happy birthday wishes!
    Gee Paul I was bummed about turning 46 but you've got me beat by 20 years. :D Getting old has both it's advantages and disadvantages I guess. Can't wait to get a cabinet to go with this new head and rock it out!:bassist:

17. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Just a though but if you're happy with your PF15 cab maybe add another one. Then you could use one or two cabs depending on volume requirements. Or just use both all the time just because that would look sweet.:D Here's my old rig when I had my GK 700RB-II. It sounded sweet. I put my BDDI in front for a little tube emulation just because I like too. Again, congrats on the new head.

18. Happy birthday and an awesome amp head. It will work perfect with your existing cab, just keep in mind the high reserve current can drive any single speaker to the scrap pile if you get a little carried away with volume and/or bass boost (or 5 sting switch).

The only real advantages to a G-K artist cab (biamp cab) is the tweeter is feed before the boost control and you can control the horn tweeter from the front of the amp. If you start exploring gritty overdrive the boost can get it tends to sound nasty through tweeter horns. :) Enjoy that bad boy (I only have 10 years on you BTW).