Happy Bass Player: New Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by christle, Nov 9, 2003.

1. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I am a happy bass player this weekend. I got inspired to call up some guys I know and ask them if they wanted to jam. Well after about 10 minutes into the jam I was told I passed the audition. Didn't know it was one, just thought it was a jam session. I was very happy about this as these guys have about 30+ years, each, playing time over me. We will be doing covers, which is a change for me as my other band is all originals, mostly of stuff from the 60's and 70's. The material covered will be Motown, Ventures, Spencer Davis Group, Booker T and the MGs, Kinks, and so on. Plus there will be some blues material.

I am really pleased for several reasons:

1) The originals band was developing an unhealthy atmosphere thanks the growth and development of the guitarist's ego. So I needed a more positive outlet for my music.

2) When we were jamming I was able to follow along with material that was completely unfamaliar to me. I was forced to use my ears more than I had in the past and my practice really paid off.

3) I have always wanted to cover this material, finding myself more and more attracted to the melodic style of playing and music that was very groove oriented.

4) Unlike the originals band, this one already has the potential to get out of the basement :D

I just had to share this. Thanks!

Dan :cool: :bassist: