Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Happy Birthday 'Arry!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dude, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    A day late! Up The Irons!

Steve Harris (3/12/57)

[​IMG]

2. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    My best live shot of SH as seen in the 2002 Fender catalogs.

[​IMG]

3. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Killer musician. But I think he has lost his creative side.

I am a huge Maiden fan of the 80-88 era.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I play bass primarily because of Steve Harris. And, I still think he can out rock any of these young bands who think playing begins and ends with how low you can get your bass while jumping up and down live.

And, if you've ever played the Steve Harris strings :eek: to play that hard on those strings, the man must be able to pop tennis balls with his hand...

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    amen to that!

6. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Wasn't there a thread around here recently that talked about how light Steve's touch was to let him play fast? And that a roadie was doing soundcheck at Steve's settings and hit the string hard and blew his speaker rig :eek:

And to me (if that's story is true - I've seen Maiden a bunch of times, but can't tell how hard Steve's attack is) is even more impressive. I know that the few times I try and jump around (and it is scary :D ) I lose basically all control over my level of attack, and hitting the right notes, balance, control of bodily functions etc. :D

7. If I were to speculate, from what I've seen and heard from Steve Harris, I would say he plays with a heavier touch. If you see him live you'll find that he plays with a lot of motion in his right hand which, generally speaking, would indicate a heavier touch. Also, if you listen to any Iron Maiden recordings, you'll find that he gets a lot of 'slap back' from his bass, also an indication of a heavier touch.

Then again, I'm only speculating... I don't know for sure.;)

8. Long live the king, Stevey the Great!!

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Who can tell how light or heavy his attack is?? I tried to capture his right hand from 5' away with 1000 speed film pushed to 1600 and it still was a blur...look!

[​IMG]

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    am i wrong or that precision has binding? the nicest P i have ever seen!

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    ..and a differetn, strat like output jack. is this bass a custom shoip by fender? otherwise, do you know who built it?

thanks!

12. I think I read somewhere that that bass is actually his old sparkle blue bass with the mirror pickguard. He had the Fender Custom Shop redo it for him.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Steve is the man!!! In the 80's I played in a band that covered Flight of Icarus and Two minuets to midnight, it never sounded quite right until I bought my first Pbass and strung it with flats, Woohoo! Utopia.....I still listen to them and if they came around my neck of the woods I would go see them again.
    Happy B-day Steve

Dude you been hangin around here at TB alot lately,
    Whats up wit dat!!!
    Good to see ya!!!

14. I think it's a painted pinstripe - something to do with the West Ham football team colours.

also re. the output jack, I think that's a regular P-type jack socket set in the pickguard- the angled chrome jack plug just makes it look different in the pic.

re. Steve Harris' attack- the story about a roadie trying his bass at soundcheck and blowing up the speakers was posted by Steve Lawson in his forum here.
    I've also heard from a guitarist who played with Bruce Dickinson that Harris has a light attack- he uses a very low action (though his strings are heavy 50-110 Roto flats)- hence the string-fret contact you hear.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Hey Funkster...I've been here all along since the first day I registered....just haven't posted much but I've been here all along Bro!

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That's correct...same '73 P-Bass he's had all along....think it's been refined 3 or 4 times he told me. I gotta get off my butt and transcribe my interview with SH...It'll be posted over on The Pit soon...promise!

17. It's already mentioned, yes it's the same bass that was blue before.

I've met with his bass guitar technician and the guy who plays keyboard (on Seventh Son and so..) Michael Kenney (Did I spell it right?). You can see him making some repairs on "Holy smoke" video too... Not sure if it was him or Fender custom shop who made the upgrade though..

I live in filth, I live in sin,
    but I still smell better than the shxt you're in... Hoooolly smoooke..:p

BTW do you know if he left "dental floss salesman" business? :D :D