Happy Birthday Bill Wyman!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pauly 4001, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Bill Wyman (born William George Perks; 24 October 1936)
    Some folks don't give the man his due respect but he really created a powerhouse rhythm section with Charlie.

JkYkab2nXTNYu7PX8FNmrG.jpg
    ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.jpg
    732dce2ad523f8ee78ea2fd2049e53b9.jpg

obieito, ahc, Ooba Tooba and 4 others like this.
  2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Happy belated birthday Bill!

:bassist::bassist::bassist:

bobyoung53 and Pauly 4001 like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude is 84, no wonder he retired a while ago.

obieito, Pauly 4001 and bobyoung53 like this.
  4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

One of my early influences, he is an excellent rock n roll and blues bassist, I still occasionally play some lines I stole from him. Recorded at Chess studios in 1964:

obieito and Pauly 4001 like this.
  5. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    Good documentary on Bill on Netflix. He filmed and saved from those early years. I got to see him on the Steel Wheels tour in 1989. I didn’t realize that was his last tour.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Bill's isolated track on "Gimme Shelter."

7. bobyoung53

Bill wrote and sang this one which I always liked, I'm one of those rare fans who liked His Satanic Majesty's Request actually.:

Another he wrote which is as good as anything else the Stones ever wrote, Let It Bleed Outtake, Ry Cooder on guitar:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. This was the biggest hit single by a solo Stone. Not sure if that's still the case:

He's been busy anyway with various bands and projects.

TomB and bobyoung53 like this.
  9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I liked that album very much back in the day - especially that song, and Like a Rainbow. Cool to hear that Wyman wrote and sang it.

Pauly 4001 and bobyoung53 like this.
  10. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Geddy Lee did a nice interview with Bill. It's in his "Big Beautiful Book of Bass."

bobyoung53 and obieito like this.
  11. I haven't heard Downtown Suzie in many years. It's pretty great actually.

TomB and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. He was also one of my first influences... Meaning I learned to play following his lines with my guitar first, and then with my first bass.
    I also think he is greatly under appreciated! Happy birthday!!

bobyoung53 and Pauly 4001 like this.
  13. bobyoung53

Never heard it before, Disco/Reggae Bill! It's a very catchy poppy tune though.

14. Wyman drove out to a recording session at Olympic studios and only Charlie and Nicky Hopkins had shown up.
    Glyn Johns the producer asked Bill if he had a song to do and he sat down at the piano and played "In Another Land" and they all liked it. They worked on putting a basic track together and got a good master on tape. Bill was worried about laying down the lead vocals and requested tremolo on his voice. The Small Faces were recording next door and Glyn asked Steve Marriott to come in and help Bill. They sang it together and it worked well. They gave it a working title of "Acid In The Grass".
    Keith and Mick were played the tapes the next day and they approved so Bill got his first songwriting credit. I'm more or less transcribing from Bill's book.

TomB likes this.
  15. Here's a bit of Bill's birthday bass trivia:
    Bill sponsored both Framus and Vox basses in 1964. He received a 5% fee on the factory price on any signature model.
    nmmprhn2uykpk4gqe7ab.jpg
    -hX0B17SrqSRINhmo7_6BYR4mO-xPLHS7MfkxzBgzf7Y5QtU9vjeL5F1y_lcaW9RjSfuSq7lTcN4IeSwuh2mRuUU2MBetDWs.jpg

kobass and marchone like this.