1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Happy Birthday Charles Mingus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Apr 22, 2010.

1. I know this the BG forum and he played upright, but who cares!? He was the man and today would be his 88th birthday. Show some love and respect.
    For a little treat, a Jazz radio station in my area was playing non-stop Mingus music all day today. Not sure if it's still going on, but if you're in the NYC/Long Island area, check out 88.9 FM

[​IMG]

Happy Birthday Mr. Mingus!

2. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the heads up... just turned him on at my shop...

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    When I was in my early 20's and lived in NYC I went to the Village Gate to watch Mingus live with his group . It was a wild night. Thanks for remembering his birthday........:cool:

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Wow....it would have been my father's 88th birthday too, if he were still alive.

Happy Birthday!

5. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    The man was great!
    I think Joni Mitchel in a carreer gamble, did a collaboration
    LP with him. I need to look it up.
    But that does say what kind of an influence he had on other
    musicians.

6. Yes, happy birthday Mr. Mingus!

Joni Mitchell did an album of Mingus music back in '79(with Jaco on bass). Fantastic. At the time it flopped. Her version of "Goodbye Porkpie hat" is incredible(lyrics and all). Prime Jaco. The '79 tour(Shadows and Light) line-up did a wonderful job with a few of the tunes, too! Jaco, Metheney, Mays, Brecker, Alias, the Persuasions. Yeah.......

Josh

7. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Joni's great. The album was great (had Jaco and Shorter). Mingus was greater. The first jazz bassist-composer and a master at both.

8. Mingus was great, happy birthday to him!
    Still the only Jazz i could bear listening to for extended periods, truely a master.