1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happy Birthday, Oscar Peterson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Eric Jackson, Aug 15, 2005.

1. I meant to post this earlier in the day but somehow never got around to it. Bad dog...

Oscar Peterson turns 80 years young today. Big doin's in Toronto, at a ceremony attended by jazz luminaries at an HMV store downtown, Canada Post unveiled a commemorative stamp. To mark the occasion Jazz FM 91.1 has played nothing but OP's music all day. Says something about the man's career when a radio station can do that. They post playlists on their website, check it out. The man has played with everybody. And who knew he recorded a vocal album? I missed the details, I think it was 1954 with Ernie Wilkins' big band (?). Apparently he didn't dig being compared to Nat King Cole, and never recorded vocals again. Too bad, the man's a damn fine singer too.

As Larry Green observed on the air this afternoon, in a musical genre where many gifted artists have died prematurely due to poor lifestyle choices, to reach 80 years of age and still be performing is quite an accomplishment. It's been a day of great music (what I've heard of it, day job...). And to ice the cake, he's Canadian. :)

2. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    happy b-day Oscar.