1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Happy Birthday Scott LaFaro

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Mike Goodbar, Apr 3, 2006.

1. According to my calendar with all the jazz birthdays, Mr. LaFaro would've been 70 today.

Makes you wonder what the state of the bass would be today if guys like Scott, Paul Chambers, Jimmy Blanton, etc., would have stuck around a bit longer.

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I hope by the time I'm 70 I can play half as well as Scott LaFaro did at 25 on those Vanguard recordings.

Happy B-Day Scotty.

3. pbzep0670

pbzep0670

Dec 2, 2004
    Harriman, TN
    favorite bass player ever

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Even hipper, I assume ;).

Happy b-day indeed...what a player. I didn't even know he was only 25 on those -- just amazing.

5. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    Three cheers for scottie!!

Hip hip...

Horray!!

Hip hip...

Horray!!

Hip hip...

Horray!!

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You gotta pick up THE ARRIVAL OF VICTOR FELDMAN. Scotty is only 19 on that record and HE....JUST.....KILLS! Siriusly, it might as well be his record the way he takes charge...

7. There's a nice article in the latest ISB mag about Scotty. Can't remember who the author is, but he talks about how he came to LaFaro through Bill Evans but learned a lot more about his fantastic musicianship by listening to him with others (including Victor F.)

8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  9. "The Arrival of Victor Feldman" is also on Rhapsody as well as a big selection from the Bill Evans catalog. I've got to tell you guys, for $9.95/mo for unlimited access, this service is invaluable for serious musicians. The really cool thing is that you can check out so many recordings (you know, the ones you "should" listen to) without having to commit to buying them. Sorry for the commercial, but I love it and use it daily!
    www.rhapsody.com

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's okay! I'm always looking for music sources.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Thanks for the tip, Ed. It scares me to think that these guys can playat that kind of age. Now matter how much better I get, it always feels like I'm moving waaaay too slowly. Even scarier to think Tony Williams was one of the top drummers around at 17...

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    He's killing, but on track 2 of that album, I'm sure he wanted to kill someone for putting it on vinyl as he's really struggling to play in tune in the beginning.

13. + 1,000,000

14. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    He was only 13 when he joined Sam River's band....

15. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Ed,

Thanks for the heads up on this recording! I downloaded it from eMusic and you did not overstate it at all. Awesome playing!

Ron

16. another great scotty record, that i haven't seen any time other than when i picked it up.. is a Hampton Hawes date called For Real! scotty absolutely burns the whole thing up. it has Harold Land on tenor, and i'm not sure of the drummer. definitely worth checking out, if you could find it.
    Oh, and by the way... the thing about that Feldman record is scotty had only been playing bass for a little over a year. now that's scary.

17. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks folks, I just ordered the Feldman and Hawes CD's. Can not wait to hear Scott on these recordings.

18. There would be more folks as good as Ray Brown or NHOP or Carter. Maybe the slab would not have taken over in Jazz. Maybe Maybe they would have gotten better with age, maybe not. We will never know.

-Jon