Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Happy Birthday to me.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Feb 27, 2002.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, I turned 29 today. I don't feel old.

I picked this 6 string Curbow up off of Ebay. It has some cracks in the neck, but Greg seems to think it won't take much to get it in good order. You can't beat the price for a USA Curbow. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1515450367

[​IMG]

It should be here at the beginning of next week. I can't wait. Hopefully, it'll get here in time for me to take it to Curbow's shop with me next Thursday-I'm going to see how he's coming with my 8 string fretless! :D

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, that's sweet, man ;) my rockwood has a flat top as well...that's the only thing i'm still getting used to on mine. i was really spoiled by the body curvature on my warwick...oh well, it's all good, though. hey, happy 29th, man! bet you can't wait for your present, huh? hee hee

3. Holy Crap. That is a sweet bass. Too bad about the neck, is what I thought...until I saw the price. Good stuff, I hope the repair work goes well with Greg. I keep telling myself one day on the Curbow. Just to expensive in the great north.

Geoff

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hey Jason, Happy Birthday!
    With you buying all these Curbows and Curbow necks, you're making it hard for me not to buy one too!

By the way, any idea when our refinished bodies will be back?

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Happy Birthday!!

What a steal too.....$612 for a USA Curbow....I envy you so much....:(

6. Oh man that is sweet. I don't play 6 strings but if i had the money I would have bid on that. I can only dream about owning high end gear....good old Canadian dollar!:rolleyes:

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Happy B-day to you, Acacia and all the others!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    look at that string spacing :eek:

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Speaking of string spacing...

Is that Curbow's default 20mm?

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Just got back from having a nice birthday T Bone steak. Boy, am I stuffed!

Dave Siff pointed this bass out to me on Ebay, and I had just boxed up a defective preamp to send back to Bass Central, so it was fate. The price on the bass was only $405 until about an hour and a half before the auction ended. Oh, well. I kept waiting for someone to swoop in and snipe me at the last second. My girlfriend just put her face in her hands when I won and danced around the apartment singing the theme to Rocky. :D

I'd wanted a six string for so long, and couldn't bring myself to buy anything besides a Curbow. I wouldn't have picked red as the color (I wouldn't have picked flamed maple, either), but for the price, I don't think you can beat the deal for an early Curbow. I expect the body to look better in person. Purpleheart feels pretty good as a neck, and I don't expect the repairs to be extensive--if they are even needed. He said that unless the heastock was about to fall off, he'd just "epoxy the hell out of it." Part of me hopes it is messed up so I can go ahead and have Greg make a fretless rockwood neck for it! Even after a new neck, it'd still be a sweet deal. Of course, I am getting ahead of myself...

This bass makes 3 Curbows in my current stable, with no. 4 in the works, and no.5 in the planning stages. I have to take the 8 string bridge to him next Thursday. (I was able to get the last black 8 string schaller from Warmoth. There will be no more black bridges made--ever. Once again, fate working in my favor.) I also want to get some "in progress" shots of my 8 string fretless neck. I'm catching up to JT, but I'll never have the number of strings that he has. Of course, I am a lot taller than him, so I don't need so many strings. ;)

Berklee46-- Hee hee. You wil get one...eventually. When I go up to Greg's, I'm planning on taking my digital 8 track to record some sound files of the different basses he has in his shop (if I can get him to finish the nutwork on them--Greg likes to finish basses, and leave them unplayable. :rolleyes:) He has 4 or 5 basses there with unfinished nuts (can I say that?). I'll get some mp3s posted at some point so you can hear some examples of his work. He has one bass there with a modified jazz shape, 4 strings, PJ setup, and a ridiculous birdseye top. I think it might have the sound you are looking for.

As for the refinished bodies, mine has not gone anywhere yet. He is going to redo the neck heel on the Peavey after he gets the neck done, and since I am getting a matching headstock, the body will have to wait until the neck is finished tp make sure they, well, match. It'll add some time for the finished project, but I think it'll be worth it in the end. If yours happens to get back before I get there, I'll be sure to get some pics, and send them out to you. Same with your bass neck.

John-- I honestly have no idea about the string spacing-I didn't even ask. I figure for that price, I can't really complain. I'm pretty sure Greg brings it down to 18mm at the nut for 6 strings, but who knows what he was doing in '93. With his bodies being so small, the spacing is alway smisleading in pics. While I prefer a slightly tighter spacing than Greg normally does, I can find my way around on his wider necks. I have an older fretless 4 from '89, and it has a tiny little neck with jazz spacing and an asymetrical profile--who knows what he was doing when he made this bass.

I'll be sure to post a full review (possibly with mp3s) when it shows up. The guy I got it from in SF just got a new Fodera 6 string that looked supersweet. But, I have a sinking feeling he paid more than $600 for it....

Okay, protein coma...must sleep.. thanks again, everyone!

11. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hey Jason,
    Thanks for everything!

Scott

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    crap, man...and i paid twice that for mine ;) really sounds great, though. i'm kinda gassin' for a 5 string fretless...man...and that's cool about your girlfriend. heck, my wife thinks a bass is a boat paddle with strings on it! :mad: :rolleyes: hey, don't forget to ask greg about that preamp for me, mkay? ;) i'll send him another email tomorrow, though. well, have fun!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    in your dreams, birthday boy. i gots 2 inches on you, easy. i just slouch so as to not make you feel bad.

:D
    happy birthday, dude. nice score - how come i can never find old conklins for that cheap? :rolleyes:

14. Maybe a bit late, but I hope you had a nice birthday!

15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Another late "Happy Birthday", Bassmonkee (things have been nuts at work, I wasn't online much yesterday).
    Hey don't feel bad about 29....you can feel bad for me...
    I'm turning 40 in a few months. I feel like I oughta be making out a will and getting a colonoscopy. :(

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That reminds me, JT. Somehow your shoes ended up with my stuff after the last bass get together...
    [​IMG]

:D

17. Happy belated Birthday, Jason! Can't wait to see the new Curbow! :D

Lisa

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks, Lisa. Me, either. It's currently on the big brown truck. Hopefully, it gets to me in one piece.

19. Happy birthday to you,
    happy birthday to you,
    happy birthday dear bassmonkeee,
    happy birthday to you...

...and now for my bass solo.

:eek: