Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Happy Centennial Vacuum Tubes!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Nov 16, 2004.

1. I thought lee deforest invented it. maybe he just invented the first true amplifier. the electrons keep bounicng around until the current coming out is more than what entered.

i have a bk butler amp in my car. it is a hybrid which claims to work on the "edision effect" , wherein a blue light is actually emitted in addition to the triodes or diodes glowing orange.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    didja know that some modern planes (soviet ones in particular) use tubes in some vital systems in case of an EMP from a nuke? Apparently they dont get fried like transistors do.

3. everyone knows that. ditto for some medical equipment. russian tubes evolved for military use. the ones in my car are soldered direct to the board-no sockets. no microhonics. no biasing. and, in theory, no replacing since they only run at preamp levels even though they are power tubes. but that 15 second warm up time is the coolest. it kind of fads in with this screechy sound.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    betcha they don't ;)

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What kind of car do you have?

6. Have you ever heard of a "Holden Commodore"?

http://www.butleraudio.com/main.html

Actually I have a WRX. This is my second tubedriver amp. I had one of the first ones in '97 in my GTI-VR6 Those worked in a more trad hybrid way. even had a contour and would play ss pre-warm up or when the tube isn't giving a signal.

these newer ones are dead accurate: powerful and no hint of listener fatigue. now check out that single ended for home.

edit: looks like a hybrid on second glance. mono block. very cool.

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I posted about this earlier this morning.

DeForest invented the first triode.

8. Ah... I seem to have missed your thread... Sorry. :D

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks