Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

happy good gear????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sebb, Aug 19, 2003.

1. sebb

sebb

Aug 19, 2003
    Marseille FRANCE
    hullo,
    i play in a metal-hxc-rock band called INMATE (ala Botch, Converge, with only one guitarist).
    i have a 5 string SR Ibanez and a HeadHartke 3500 with a 4x10 hartkeCab and i look for a good disto/overdrive. i used to play on the zoom 506 but it's crap, especially during gigs, and i now play on my guitarist' Korg1500(?)multieffect. i can't get what i want, it's too noisy, and i loose the fatness.
    i've heard the samples of the Digitech X-overdive on their site and i like them but is it really good? i need something really aggressive and i want to melt the original signal with the effect to keep the subs when my guitarist does his weird high stuffs. Any other suggestion than x-overdrive welcome(not to expensive!!!)
    I'm fed up with 5strings the neck is to thick and i want something i can play faster.
    Can i put my B, E, A, D strings on 4strings bass instead of E, A, D, G ? I don't want to detune because th strings bend to much.
    Is there any problem with that?
    thanx

2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    You can string your 4 BEAD. A guitar tech told me that he knows of some bass players who have done so for the reason you give. OTOH, have you tried a Music Man 5? The neck is just a bit wider (.125" at the nut) than a Fender Precision 4 string. I was playing a Fender Jazz 5 before switching to the MM5. The difference to me is substantial. At some point, you may miss the G string if you go BEAD.