happy good gear????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sebb, Aug 19, 2003.

1. sebb

Aug 19, 2003
    Marseille FRANCE
    i play in a metal-hxc-rock band called INMATE (ala Botch, Converge, with only one guitarist).
    i have a 5 string SR Ibanez and a HeadHartke 3500 with a 4x10 hartkeCab and i look for a good disto/overdrive. i used to play on the zoom 506 but it's crap, especially during gigs, and i now play on my guitarist' Korg1500(?)multieffect. i can't get what i want, it's too noisy, and i loose the fatness.
    i've heard the samples of the Digitech X-overdive on their site and i like them but is it really good? i need something really aggressive and i want to melt the original signal with the effect to keep the subs when my guitarist does his weird high stuffs. Any other suggestion than x-overdrive welcome(not to expensive!!!)
    I'm fed up with 5strings the neck is to thick and i want something i can play faster.
    Can i put my B, E, A, D strings on 4strings bass instead of E, A, D, G ? I don't want to detune because th strings bend to much.
    Is there any problem with that?
  2. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    You can string your 4 BEAD. A guitar tech told me that he knows of some bass players who have done so for the reason you give. OTOH, have you tried a Music Man 5? The neck is just a bit wider (.125" at the nut) than a Fender Precision 4 string. I was playing a Fender Jazz 5 before switching to the MM5. The difference to me is substantial. At some point, you may miss the G string if you go BEAD.