Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Happy Halloween!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fetch Da bass, Oct 31, 2002.

1. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Also, a Happy Birthday to BrokenAngel [​IMG] :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I still want to know why the Pagan festival where the spirits of the dead are closer to this world - should be "Happy" ? :confused:

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    it is really surprising how easily diet coke will go through your nose!

LOL!

P@

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yes, I think you're absolutely right Bruce. You should go and tell everyone "Hey sht-pss, go n' fk yourself during the halloween, and oh, I hope your mum dies too!" :rolleyes:

Just kidding! I mean, it's a cultural thing, ain't it? You go telling everyone 'happy halloween' since it's what's expected from you. People are always trying to be nice to each other.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think you need to think about the context people are saying Happy Halloween in a bit more. It sort of becomes obvious then, you know? I do get your point though, -strictly spealking and from the point of view of certain groups/religeons/belief systems it should not be "happy". That said, Happy Halloween Bruce! ;)

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Can we please stop all the "Halloween is a Pagan holiday" bull***t? Did the Pagans have Dubble Bubble bubble gum and Power Rangers masks? Did they watch Linus and Sally sit in a damn pumpkin patch on TV, courtesy of Charlie Brown's Halloween Special? No, they did not! The Halloween that the majority of us celebrate in 2002 has very, very little to do with what was celebrated hundreds of years ago.

Happy Halloween!

Happy Birthday, Broken Angel!

I hope I have fun at the big Halloween GWAR show in Milwaukee tonight, Hategear!

EDIT: Damn Pagan spelling errors!

7. This year I am going as a subliminal message. I'm justy going to write "Kill Your Parents" on a white t-shirt and go out trick or treating with other 18 year olds.

Remember, you are NEVER too old for free candy.

8. someone sent that s an all studnet email at my school. there were screams in the girls houses for like 4 hours. i was still wondering what ted nugents girlfriend had to do with that song.
    -shoonk

9. Bruce Lindfield

But that's the truth - can't face it huh? Just want to carry on blundering mindlessly through life, doing what people tell you to, without questioning what it all really means !!! ??? :rolleyes:

Oh and "since it's what's expected from you" - does not answer the question - WHY!!??

10. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    Thank you Hategear...Someone needed to say it, and I am glad it was you....Good job...and happy belated Halloween:D ...Bruce, you don't like halloween, good. Keep it to yourself and quite trying to ruin it for everyone else.

11. Bruce Lindfield

This is complete rubbish - it's not about liking it or not - I am fairly indifferent really, as I am not religious - but I am just asking the question :

Why is it happy?

Now, why on earth is this : "trying to ruin it for everybody else" ? Can't people think at all - does it ruin things if they have to actually think[ abouut something for a change? :rolleyes:

So how come people can't answer one simple question without getting all tetchy?

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's been answered numerous times. In the context of TODAY, Halloween is about kids, costumesm, candy, that type of FUN thing. That is why people today say "Happy Halloween". It's incredibly simple. Think about it for thirty seconds.

13. Bruce Lindfield

But that's not what it means - or are you saying that nothing means anything these days, except as a Marketing opportunity? :rolleyes:

I mean - we're not kids - we don't believe in Santa Claus - we know that things arent that simple - does anybody around here, really have that naive a worldview?

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    What do you mean we don't believe in Santa? :eek:

15. Why is Christmas Merry? Why do dogs bark? Do cats have tonsils? What on earth is that stuff between my toes?

Just because you can question something, doesn't mean you have to.

If Halloween shouldn't be happy, what should it be?

Oh, and the whole spirits of the dead thing was/ is considered a good thing. It's really no different than going to a graveyard to speak to a dead relative who is buried 6 feet deep. It just saves you a trip to the cemetary.

But anyway, Happy Halloween (belated) to all who give a rats butt.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well - it may be seen as convenient or significant - but you are hardly "Happy" that the spirits of your dead loved ones are roaming the earth in an unsettled state - even if you belived it in the first place. I mean - this is very contradictory to the Christian view of what happens after death?

So - you are "Happy" that these people haven't gone to Heaven, to sit at Jesus' right hand or whatever you believe? Just makes no sense to me!

17. Am I happy they haven't gone to Heaven? Should I be? That whole entire last comment makes no sense to me (nor to most other Pagans as I would imagine). 1) I do not belive in Heaven or Hell. 2) I do not belive in Jesus Christ as he is portrayed in the Christian faith. It won't make sense as long as you try to view Paganism from a Christian point of view, or view Paganism in any way relative to Christianity.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Well I did say "or whatever you believe" - I am not religious at all, but I think that whatever faith you hold, you wouldn't be "Happy" that the disembodied spirits of your loved ones are roaming the earth, rather than being at peace or just dead! ;)

I mean even people who aren't religious understand the concept of "Rest in Peace" - but this is the opposite of spirits flying about - anyway you imagine it!

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Bruce, do you sit behind your computer and wait for opportunities to start trouble? I know damn well that you toss out your little comments, simply to get a rise out of people. I guess it worked -- you got us arguin' about something stupid -- again. Today's Halloween has about as much to do with Paganism as Christmas trees have to do with Jesus Christ's Birthday. And no, I don't do what others tell me to do and thank you, superfreak, for your support! If it needs to be said, I'm probably the guy that's gonna say it! ;)