Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Happy Mid-Autumn festival!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Sep 21, 2002.

1. For those of you who have no idea what that is...look out the window.

See that big fat full moon?
    It's time for us Chinese folk to bust out the tea & moon cakes. :p

Well...I have the moon cake part, but no tea here. Oh well.

No one on my floor seems to be particularly interested in trying the moon cake, but oh well. I like it. :D

2. Oh yea! early this morning something woke me up. I looked up and damn I thought a car with one headlight was coming in the sliding glass door. Wow! What a beautiful moon that is... I can't remember seeing a full moon so bright....I stayed up looking at it until it was tastefully engulfed by the morning fog...
    Tonight I'm going go down to the 7-11 and pick me up some Moon Pies, make a pot of Chinese tea and watch the Mid-Autumn Moon:)

3. Who cares about tea and moon cakes. I want me some Chinese Fire Works!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

4. Eric..that was funny but . The Moon is earths finest firework.

5. I don't think so. Doesn't turn purple, then go bang.:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just spent the past year in China. Some of those mooncakes are NAS-TEE! I did find one that I really liked a lot though - the coconut ones are awesome. I think I could eat those all year.

Mid-autumn day is a nice holiday in spirit though... a time when the moon is perfectly round, signifying reunion and people coming back together. Some of my friends in China emailed me today because of that whole idea. Cool stuff. China is king of holidays...seems like every day is some special day for some reason or another!

brad cook

7. You better believe it.
    We get October 1st off, China's national day.
    We get July 1st off, that's when Hong Kong was finally given back to China.
    We get Buddha's birthday off, whenever that is...
    Plus dragon boats, mid-autumn/lantern festival, Chinese new year etc.

:D

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Yeah, it's called Chuso'k over here in Korea (Chuso'k is Korean for, "40 million people with questionable driving skills all on the highway at the same time"). I'm gonna celebrate by sitting on my balcony, sipping a glass of wine and smoking a cigar. Come to think of it, that's how I celebrate every holiday...

9. Curious, what are the ingredients of the common moon cake?
    ~Ad

10. More importantly, is it at all similar to the heavenly concoction known as the Moon Pie?

11. The ones I'm used to have a dry egg yolk core, with lotus seed paste, in a soft pie crust type outer shell thingamajig. :p

And I have NO idea what a moon pie is...:oops:

12. Go East, young man. Just go straight east from LA for about 2500 miles, until you're in Mississippi, and then get yourself a Moon Pie and some Googoo Clusters, and you'll know what heaven is.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    amen... when mixed with rc cola nirvana is almost attained.

14. Sheep man.....they sell Moon Pies at 7-11 ...there right there next to the Twinkies and Ding Dongs....

Fetch!

15. There are Moon Pies in Colorado... but I don't think I've seen a googoo cluster since I left New York. :(

~Ad

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Uh yeah...moon cakes are a FAR cry from moon pies. Many a dumb da bizi (big nose) has made the mistake of thinking they might be like moon pies. They do sell something very similar to moon pies in China though.

Moon cakes have an outer crust like a pie crust and they can have any kind of a middle that's usually sorta paste-like except less pasty. Bean paste is pretty common and so is lotus. The only one I ever like was coconut, actually chocolate was ok.

brad cook