1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Happy noob's G&L L2K Tribute is on its way

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by ustabawannab, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    I'm a retired bassist who gigged around Miwaukee in top 40 bands ... OMG... almost 16 years ago.

Decided I could never be bigger than Chris Squire, especially playing the tripe the clubs demanded at the time, sold my bar beat white '85 American G&L L2K and went to night school. Got a good computer job and make a good living. Still I never stopped listening to the "bottom end" of songs. XM 51 and my iPOD full of Yes, Gentle Giant, Old Genesis, Bela Fleck, Dixe Dregs, Les Claypool, ... yada yada... "pulled me back in" as Al Pacino says.

I just ordered a cherry burst rosewood fingerboard G&L L2000 Tribute from Oaklahoma Vinatge Guitar after lurking at the local music stores (what the hell is that greybeard doin' over there by the basses, dude?) and this helpful forum. I wanted my first post to be here.

I'm baaaaaak:bag:

2. Kick ass! Welcome back! :bassist:

(Made me think of the Pringles ad, "once you pop, you cant stop")

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Old Genesis bass lines RAWK! :D Post Hackett...not so much. :eyebrow:

4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    SEBTP (selling england by the pound) is da best.

You have to see the tribute band The Musical Box. Don't know the bplayer's name but he has a perfect ricky doubleneck.

Attached Files:

5. Welcome neighbor and congrats! I was looking at the Tribby's on Bro BobbyB's site, but ended up trading an old 'Hog Leo era S-500 for an '85 'Hog L2K. I just wish they offered that Tribby in a "toofless" version!

Down, but not out, in McHenry County...

6. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Ahhhh, you should have known that, once you have a G&L, you'll ALWAYS GAS for one and eventually, they multiply. Welcome back!!!! :D

7. ustabawannab

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    My first G&L story

That poor '85 L2k hung on the rack at Uncle Bob's for a long time. The white body and maple FB wasn't the snaziest bass up there. I felt a little sorry for it. One day I had some time so I played it for about an hour. An hour after that, my black RIC was in their hands and the G&L was in mine.

My new G&L story

Nobody carries G&L out here anymore. I found one natural L15K at Interstate. Funny, they said it's been hanging around for 6 months. Still, they wanted 1200 and wouldn't budge. I didn't remember how much they were back then. Too rich for my budget. I was going to pop for a Mexican active JB, instead. Then I found talkbass.com and glguitars.com. I googled G&L L2000 Tribute and Oklahoma's eBay store comes up. Wam bam thank you mam, my L2K is on order.

8. ustabawannab

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Well, when it rains it pours. A day before my Trib L-2000 arrives, I win an eBay auction on a new Tobacco Burst/Maple L-2500. I had both guitars for a couple of days. Ended up keeping the 2500.

I've read elsewhere here on TB this is the best time to get into 5 strings - when the muscle memory has to be retrained anyway. The posters were correct. I'm a four string player who hasn't touched a bass in 15 years discovering the 5 string world. It's wonderful and a little daunting.

I have to admit however, I have a deposit on another love from my past. A '06 Rickenbacker 4003MG! Don't worry, I'm keeping the G&L. The dealer ordered a MG and JG for his inventory last month but Rickenbacker is so back-logged it could take 6 to 10 months! I got a great price. Wayyy less than what two year old are going for on eBay. Anyway, It'll take that long to get my groove back to a point where I can hold my head up in a jam session anyway :rolleyes: