Happy (Not stupid) Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was thinking about it today, I can't think of any happy "thinkinz manz" music. All happy music either seems to be a bit dumb in the new wavey sense, or in the rock n' roll sense, oh baby pretty baby yeah baby rizafizanizabow. Because a friend of mine listens to nothing but Tool and APC, I bought an APC album and listened to it all the way through at work, and I was just about crippled with depression. It's so, down sounding. Very well thought out, but yeah, off topic...

Anyways, are there any happyish bands you don't become offeneded by reading the lyrics. Also, I'm talking about the musical mood, not lyrics, I've heard ska songs about murder that were happy as any ska song.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The Small Faces, Faces, the Kinks. Too much blues based music out there maybe?
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For my own submission, XTC is really off and on, some songs are up and fairly well thought out, others are just idiotic pop.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've found Paul Gilbert (of Racer X and Mr Big fame/infamy) to have some happy damn solo albums. Before you discount his solo stuff, you should really check it out. It's a cross between Cheap Trick, Jellyfish, and Japanese pop music--with some shreddin' guitar. He certainly sounds like he's having a blast.

And, besides--where else are you going to find a love song called "I am Satan?" :D

As for XTC, those guys are demented geniuses. Pure, and simple. Nothing idiotic there.

Steely Dan might qualify as "happy music" if your idea of "happy" is mocking everyone and everything around you.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow, Steely Dan and I have something in common!
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm pretty sure I could submit the entire Oranges And Lemons album to the lyrics that piss me off thread.
  7. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rush comes to mind. Most of their songs are pretty energetic and have a positive vibe to them. Well, except for the Grace Under Pressure album, that one's a little dark.
  8. I'm so glad by Cream? :D

9. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002

Soul education just makes me smile.
  10. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    +1 Actually, I think a lot of Rush's stuff has a dark edge, but they do the happy thing pretty cool. Which is hard to do -- I like this thread idea, because I've often thought it's more challenging to write cool happy music.

I'll put a vote in for the Beatles, too. Killer songwriting, lots of major key stuff that is not annoying (to me, anyway).

Also, I think a lot of Jaco's stuff is very positive. "John And Mary" is one of my all time favorite happy riffs. :)
  11. I've always loved the Smithereens. Catchy, poppy songs about really sad stuff. Besides Mike Mesaros kicks all the ass.
    pholli00 likes this.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    How about Traffic? They wrote some happy songs and could play the finish off their instruments all while keeping it tasteful.

Most of the jam band music is overly "happy" for my liking. I think most of their happiness is chemically motivated though. :D

Bands/Artists I would avoid would be: Sade, Morphine, NIN, Mudvayne, Neil Young, Johnny Cash, Isis, and Black Sabbath. None ever had much of a penchant for writing "happy" songs.
  13. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Despite some saddening lyrics here and there, Flogging Molly is very upbeat. i listen to it every friday on my way to happy hour!
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Either album by The Refreshments, or the newest from Social Distortion; a very great record of Mike Ness' coming to terms with the death and celebrating the life of friend/bandmate Dennis Danell.
    +1 for Flogging Molly, too.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Thirteen posts and not one mention of the Beach Boys.

16. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Well, if you get into Jam band stuff there are a lot happy songs... or songs that the lyrics make no sense at all...
  17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I think jam band lyrics would drive Matt to get a high powered rifle and a bell tower.

18. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Stevie Wonder and anything Gospel.
  19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

The Slackers
    Desmond Dekker & the Aces
    The Chinkees
    The Specials,
    The Toasters

Most Motown will put anyone in a good mood, as will Sam Cooke.

The ****ing Champs sound like metal meets Daft Punk (to me at least), or maybe like the Advantage.

Jonathan Richman, Jaga Jazzist, Some Lester Young, The Meters, The Polysics, The Pillows, Shonen Knife, The Buzzcocks, Zebda....