Happy to be here!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JeffL, Nov 12, 2002.

1. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Being a brand new member, I must say that their seems to be a lot of participation in this forum. So I was pleased that a friend recommended it.

My name is Jeff Landtroop and I am the General Manager for the manufacturing division of Dean Markley strings. A reference to the Blue Steel Bass strings caught my attention though I am not quite sure what the connection was to the Sadowski strings. As many of you know the Blue Steel strings have been a very popular string for about 15 years. The artists who are loyal Blue Steel users are some of the top bass players in music.

We know that there are many good strings on the market today for players to choose from (with only a handful of manufacturers). This is a good thing because it makes everyone work a little harded to offer players even better strings. We constantly are working on material improvements as well as finding better manufacturing methods to help improve our ability to provide a consistant product every time. This does not even address the new product development.

The other point that I would like to make is that we are a lot smaller group than most people think. In the manufacturing group we have about 50 people. I only mention this because the access to our organization is quite easy at our website. As a matter of fact, we greatly value the feedback from players like each of you. Good or Bad feedback, both are very valuable. For the past couple of years I have had the pleasure of handling the bulk of the customer service for Dean Markley strings, along with my duties here at the factory. I have had fun and I have been challenged by many bass players to know more about their specific needs.

I would personally like to hear from anyone who has questions about our bass string line. I hope that I can help.

Best Wishes,

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Welcome to the board JeffL. It's good to have manufacturers (or representatives thereof) onboard (sic).

PM me and I'll give you an address to send free strings.

PS watch out for that Thomguy he's been our resident string maker member for a while and he might get all alpha male on you.

BTW I'm English, have a weird sense of humour and read my sig...
  3. Lol you lazy bum. You copy/pasted from the other thread :)
  4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Jeff, any chance of Alchemy-styled bass strings? I contacted my rep and he told me there was no plan for electric guitar Alchemies, but I can hope for bass:D Oh yeah, you can send me free stuff too if you have it lying around...
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    glad to have you here!
  6. Welcome to Talkbass Jeff! I have only ever used 1 set of Dean Markley Blue Steels. They were nice strings. However, in Glasgow, the local shops don't stock a huge variety of strings - Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Elites (I hate these), Warwick and Fender. I only saw the Dean Markleys once and thought I'd give them a try! They were OK - but I couldn't get another set without going mail order!
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Quote from JeffL:
    "Being a brand new member, I must say that their seems to be a lot of participation in this forum. So I was pleased that a friend recommended it."

Welcome to Talk Bass, yes it does rule!

I am playing a 1979 Ibanez "Studio" bass with Roto Sound "Swing Bass" strings on it. I set the bass up in 1990 when I got it, and put the aformentioned strings on it. I took a 4 year break from playing, now I am back at it, and I have to say the strings are still holding up. (I do log in hours on this thing)

I think I know dead strings as well as most people but these things won't die.

I bought them 2 for 1 so I still have another un-opened pack. At this rate it'll be 2015 before I need strings.
    Strings are all in the user and maintainer of the instrument.

Are some strings just more resilient than others?
  8. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Well if you are set until 2015 you have a lot of time to think about that.
    Sure, some strings are more resilient than others but most of that boils down to three factors, string design, manufacturing technique, and the materials used.

On the string design front it seems that it is as personal as whether you like ketchup or mustard on your hotdog. We have designed strings for certain artists only to find that other artists don't like them. It doesn't necessarily mean that the design is bad, it just wasn't for everyone. That is why we generally have unique design points for each of the string lines we make. Maybe you prefer roundcore bass, maybe you like the taper core strings, maybe you prefer nickel over stainless, maybe you prefer a smaller final cover for a smoother feel, maybe you like more or less tension, etc., etc., etc. There are as many opinions as there are players, so we try to satisfy as many tastes as we can. This really goes for all string companies not just Dean Markley.

As far as manufacturing technique goes it is all about consistancy. We have created machinery that allows the material to communicate with the brains of the machine to make "decisions" at the rate of 40+ times per second. When these "decisions" are cause for a correction to the process it is done in the blink of an eye. I truly believe that this allows us to build a string more consistently than with an operator's hand-eye-brain coordination.

Finally, the materials that we use are checked for consistancy and conformity to specification. Use the best always.

These are the factors that WE control. String care and the players chemistry are the others. I hope that hit the high points. The Rotosounds are good strings, as are many others. You can usually tell the good strings because they are always the same product, time after time. Maybe you will try a set of ours in 2016.

Take Care, JeffL
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey jeffl, welcome to the board. i've been using dean markley sr2000's exclusively for the past 5 or 6 years on my 7 and 8 string basses - i've been getting them directly from dave for a while now. i love them and tell _all_ my friends how they rock :cool: :D.

good to have you on board.
  10. I really doubt that.

Kevin is a stand-up guy, and the poster child for "customer service."
  11. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Hey guys, while I don't know Kevin directly, but I know the organization that he works for and they are top shelf. The President of the company Kevin works for and I are good friends and I know that they are the kind of company that puts the musician first ALWAYS.

I would really like to dispell the myth that we all hate each other in the string business. Yes, we are all trying to manufacture, design, improve, and sell strings. That is a fact. For the most part I feel it is friendly competition. We don't gain an edge by putting other strings down. I can guarantee that you won't hear Kevin slamming another string company. He might suggest that he has a better solution but that is not slamming. You won't hear me doing that either.

So until I get the chance to meet Kevin in person let's not worry about it. I will look forward to reading some of his input myself.

Take Care, JeffL
  12. The Lowest

The Lowest

May 17, 2002
    New Jersey
    Jeff, I've been a long time user of Fretmaster bass strings, as far back as the early 80's when they were called half and halfs. They sound perfectly like a roundwound to me - the only thing I would like to see is a slightly heavier gauge be made available. Something like your flats that go like this:
    2616 MED .050 .070 .085 .105
  13. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Thanks for the question!

The 2646 Medium Fretmaster is our closest match. The gauges are .048, .067, .084, .106. I know that those are a little strange but they were designed that way. I hope they work for you.

Take Care, JeffL
  14. Jeff
    I currently use Dean Markley Blue Steel strings on both my basses, my 4 elecrtic guitars and my 2 acoustic guitars. I love the tone and the feel of them.

I have a couple of questions about Dean Markley strings.

1) I saw an eBay auction the other day that was selling a set of Dean Markley Black Steel strings, Are these a new item just out or a discontinued item? Are these strings actually black?

Which leads me to my second question

2) Are there any plans for DM to make black bass or guitar strings? I have a couple of instruments that would look fantastic with black strings.

15. JeffL

Nov 12, 2002
    Hi Chet,

I appreciated the kind words about the Blue Steel strings. The Black Steel strings that you saw on ebay are quite old but they aren't black. Those strings were a promotion that we did back in 1998 (if I recall correctly) but they should not be confused with the cryo treated Blues. They are a normal NPS set. I hope that was not too misleading.

As far as our R&D goes, yes there is a possibility that we will produce a black set. So far, we have not had the results that we would like. The blacks that are on the market today don't stand up to the rigors very well. They chip pretty easy so we are working to find something that is better. You can rest assured that we will find a better "mouse trap" and I will try to let you know as early as possible.

Take Care, Jeff