Haptodysphoria anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jack, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Haptodysphoria - The unpleasant feeling experienced by some people when they touch certain surfaces.

Well, for a long time I have been absolutly repulsed by the feel of rough wood. It makes my teeth ache, I get goosebumps, I hate it. Other things trigger this feeling, like a blunt metal object cutting. Dont ask why.

Well I always thought I was strange, hey I am strange, but this was queer. Just now I read the TB Wishbass thread and somebody said they had this feeling when they touched the bass (must've been a terrible finish, Wish) And gave the name for this condition. Apparantly some people get it with cotton buds and other things. :hyper:

I am not alone!!!!!!!!

This thread has three purposes:
    1. To say thankyou to the guy (girl?) who posted this and ended me thinking that I was alone.
    2. To call out for other sufferers (Haptodysphorian's)
    3. For you all to laugh at me (us) for having a strange affliction. :p

Thankyou for your time. Sorry I cant give you your 30 seconds of life back. :smug:

2. omg i know how u feel. when i touch like, melty-plastics like silly putty, my teeth turnn to like jello, my knees get all weak., its hoirrible!!!! *shivers*
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    See? Any others?

I feel your pain thinking of you. :p
  4. this statement struck me, because it's a slightly more common condition to freak out at the texture of food. my brother gets it with jello.

sorry, but i can't relate to you guys on this one. i'm very tactile. i always have to feel things.
  5. I get it wheni feel bone, or Charcoal pencils, And when I see or hear bone being cut, snapped, bent, broken, whatever, I get this shaking fit and throw up
    It scares the **** outta me.
  6. never EVER go to KFC then.
  7. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I think the bone thing is quite common. :D
  8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

cotton buds(UK) = cotton balls(US)?
    If so, are you talking about that creepy feeling when you reach into a bag of cotton balls to grab a few and they kind of do that dry grind as they squish - oh, I hate that! It gives me shivers. It's the "finger nails on the chalkboard" sensation.
    The worst thing to ever give me that feeling was when I was a young kid - we had snow with a thin layer of ice on the top and I broke off a small piece of thin ice which had snow stuck to one side. For some reason, I wanted to take a bite and I tried to bite it with my front teeth. That sensation x 1000. I'm still disturbed by it, I get unpleasant sensations just thinking about it. I also get that if I bite off a piece of a popsicle. I can't even watch somebody else bite a popsicle, gives me the willys!
  9. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yup, cotton ball thingies.

I can bite popsicles. (Ice lollies?) Talk about two nations divided by a common language! But 'Popsicle' sticks really make me feel shivery and eurgh!
  10. Oh man, I get this too!!! I know exactly what you mean. I can't think of substances that do it though. I know there are several. It gets you in teh front teeth, among other things.

I wish I could think of examples for me, because I know they exist, I'm just can't think of any at the moment. Oh, I know one. chalk. ugggg!

edit: Jack has another one! Popsicle sticks definitely do the same to me. There's 2 right there.
  11. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    wow I'm so taken back! I too can share your insanity!

1. I can't touch cardboard..... like boxes. It makes wanna puke! As well as the shakes.

2. Those wooden spoons that come with Italian Ices.... nothing worse! Same thing.... vomit!!!! May be the worst for me.

3. Chalk boards... can't touch em...^

I never knew anyone else had similar ailments!

My mind is blown!

I'm not a freak!!!! :hyper:

13. The smell of fried chicken drives me insane. It makes me throw up everytime, you dont wanna know what the taste does to me.

And with charcoal, the feel of em , and the sound when you write with a charcoal pencil , it makes me shakey and nervous.
  14. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

I can't eat em because of that! No way! Never!
  15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I'm not sure what that is - is that like the little tongue depresser style wooden spoons that come with Dixie Cups (the orange and white ice cream cups) - if so, well... I can touch those, I must be closer to the food / eating reactions to this stuff. I could NEVER actually eat ice cream off of one of those. Horrible.
  16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yeah, even if I'm trying to have a popsicle without biting it, I'll try to take a lick and accidentally scrape my teeth on the ice.... Dang, I'm cringing so hard just writing that...

how about those popsicle in the long plastic tube - I've tried to break a small peice off (in the tube) to get a bite. Can't do it, the feeling of the ice breaking in the plastic makes me want to have a seizure.

Ya know, just the fact that we're not alone doesn't necessarily mean that we're not crazy ;)
  17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    you guys are all giving me the heebies now.....

this is a very tough thread for me to read..... I have a can right next to me...

mind you I have a very strong stomach. i love thai food, indian food, alll that spicy stuff......but this topic turns me into a 3yr old curled up under his desk.
  18. Like crotches...three times?
  19. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Whoa, fellow sufferer here. A lot of the things you mentioned, cotton balls, chalkboard (fingernails or not) and I'll add:

My grandmother's old forks. Like when all the coating rubs off and it's not smooth anymore and has all that weird rough metal crap, OMG, if I try to eat with one of those I will throw up. Just thinking about biting down on one and my stomach is turning.
  20. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Around our area we have this strange smell around summer time. It's kind of like a pollen smell. Its a dirty musk kind of smell. It makes me shiver! And the smell of wood shavings, i think there is some perfume by GUCCI that smells just like the stuff, that gets me quite irate! (every sperm is sacred... monty python anyone?)