1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

harassing customers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by powderfinger, May 17, 2011.

1. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Does anyone else ever feel harassed when they go into a retail store.

I went into a Music/DVD retailer the other day at the mall. Not 30 seconds after walking in the door, an employee was in my face, "you know if you buy 3 used DVDs today you can get a 2nd one for free.. or if you buy 2 used DVDs you can get store credit toward the purchase of a new DVD, if you want to reserve it". My head is totally spinning, and I just answer, "uh, Im just looking, thanks". Then another employee comes up 5 minutes later with the same pitch.

When I go to the ring up my DVD, they ask if I want to join their frequent shopper club. I told them no, and then they proceeded to tell me the benefits of the club anyhow. They then ask if I want to reserve a DVD. They then ask if I want to sign up for 6 weeks of Entertainment Weekly or some crap. I am like, "NO, I WANT YOU TO RING UP THIS DVD".

I know its not the store clerks fault. They are pressured by mgmt to do this, but this sort of thing makes me avoid these stores usually, and just buy online.

Anyone else feel this way?

2. That only happens to me in Maccy D's.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    That's one of the reasons why I don't go in most retail stores. I don't feel "harassed", but when I go into a store, I generally know what I'm looking for and where to get it, or I'm just going to browse, and don't want to hear your pitch. You're not going to sell me on something. Kinda like the extended warranties on junk. No, not interested. "You sure, it's only $Xx.xx". Yes, I'm sure I don't want it, k? "But without it if this happens" Stop, just ring up my stuff so I can leave.
    I once had to ask a check out person to literally stop spamming me in person, just ring up my stuff, say no to all offers, and let me go. (Note: They had already gone through 3 pitches and were starting a 4th).

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes.

This places you in one of about 3 categories when you enter the store...

1. You get a lone employee that monitors your presence until you leave;
    2. You get approached by floaters that offer help to multiple customers;
    3. You are ignored, and not approached by anyone.

Keep in mind, that the first two can increase sales in this dismal economy. And, since many of us have worked in small stores, we're not necessarily offended by someone soliciting us during our shopping experience.

5. I say Maccy D's because it is part of the language of Britain's cesspool. Where I come from.
    I like beig not bugged. If I want help, I'll ask.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I get it too when in certain stores. I listen each time, and usually decline. However, that is how I found out to join the Best Buy Rewards Club, and I am glad I did.

If I know what I want and prefer not to deal with the employees, then I do as you suggest and buy online.

-Mike

7. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    The only store I like going to is a used book/cd/vinyl/dvd store. It is independently owned. All of the employees are hipsters, and they wont even look at you while you browse. Its perfect. I cant look at cds, vinyl, browse books, and never have a sole come up to me and ask me any annoying questions, or a sales pitch :)

8. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Local hardware store is reeeeallly annoying about this. I work on cars on the side, and I like to tinker anyway, so I'm there frequently. As soon as I walk in, two or three people will ask if they can help, am I finding everything ok, etc.
    I know they're only trying to be helpful, and doing their jobs, but most of the time I just want to go to the fastener section and match up a replacement for the bolt I broke.
    What's really funny is that I'm usually quick to complain about poor customer service. Here I am receiving GOOD customer service and bitching about that too!

D

9. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I work retail. I sometimes cashier, but I usually work in a department. I never tell them a sales pitch. I only ask* them if they are finding everything all right or if they had any questions. Management encourages us not to annoy customers with endless rants on the new store credit card or how a product could make life have meaning. Most of our customers know what they want when they come in and know where to find it.

* usually if they look at me or notice me while I am walking by.

10. One of my favorite replies:

Clerk: Did you find everythign OK?
    Me: (Pissed off look) Why? Are you hiding things from me too?

11. powderfinger

powderfinger

Feb 24, 2009
    Yeah man, there is nothing wrong with being polite and greeting the customer. I just mean the bombardment and nagging that a lot of retail places do these days.

Whats nuts is that a nearby convenience store chain does the same thing. I went there the other day to get a soda, and a pack of gum, and the lady asks, "would you like anything else?". I was like "no". And she replies, "you sure? no candy bar? ice cream? cigarettes?". YES, she actually asked me if I wanted to buy cigs. I dont even smoke!

12. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Heh-heh, there's a place I had an experience with one time...

Called the Somerset Collection. Really, it's a mall here in Troy, but this city I work in is so snobbish they won't admit to having a mall, so they call it a collection. First friggin' mall I go to ever that had valet parking (this was 13 years ago). I'm new to the area, was in the town for training, driving a beat '88 Omni. I pull up at the main entrance and these a-holes in bellboy costumes stare at me as I pull through this coned off area. Then I go to park. They tell me I can't park there. I'm like why not? (OK, so I'm stupid) But I had an attitude, was 290lbs, towered over the guy and just glared at him and walked into the 'collection.'

Next thing I know the first department store had security following me. Why? Big guy, long gray shoulder length hair, dressed mostly in black and gray, nasty looking, what's wrong here? I'm just looking for the food court.

I go into the mall itself and they have mall security there already. These idiots followed me trhoughout the mall and into other stores. Finally get to the food court and I thought we'd seriously have an incident finally. Ordered a cheesesteak from a vendor and they charged me a 25% tip! WHAT? When I started mouthing off to the poor clerk, the security started coming up and I glared at them. I was harrassed trhoguh the entire mall and not by things being promoted.

When I got to my car they had left me a little unoffical 'ticket' on it.

Anyhow, yeah, I get some people trying to sell me things in stores. But I'm a big guy. 51. And I get nasty in a hurry. By the time they get the third word out of their mouth, they know not to say a fourth. At least not if they are paying attention.

13. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    It sucks for us but it is their job. Some are just better at it than others.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I ususally ignore them, then ask them what they just said. Then I ignore them again, and walk away.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but get the overwhelming feeling you need some bigger fish to fry. I mean no offense of course, but you know what you're getting into goin in, so you're setting yourself up for needless frustration. It's their job. It's what they are pair for and expected to do. Don't take it out on them, you don't like it, write to corporate and complain about it. Sometimes, just maybe, the company genuinely just wants you to know about the extra services they can provide, and incentives to save you money, as a reward for patroning them...no harm no foul, imo. Hell, its no secret the CD and DVD is industry is clinging onto its last breaths, don't condemn them for trying to sweeten the deal a little to get some dollars in the door. You know the majority of them are low-paid and trying to appease their bosses simply to keep their jobs and make ends meet.....damn them.

16. Ah, one of the necessary evils of society. Sales pitches. I wonder what's worse, having to deliver them or having to hear them? I'm a little jaded in that I've had many a customer service job, so I'd say having to deliver them :D

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    You know, I hate like hell to be set upon by sales men. Conversely, it pisses me off when no one steps up to help me when I want help.

18. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008

Wait...you have music stores in a mall where you live!!?! :eek:

We have 2 malls....zero music stores in them.

19. Wow. Pretty fired up today, eh, Phalex?

20. Classic!