Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard Bass Songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassman1988, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Bassman1988

Bassman1988

Jul 16, 2004
    Hey i am looking for a couple songs to learn so i can get a scholarship to a music collage, and i was wondering if you guys knew some pretty hard songs for me to learn for my tape i have to send in. I am learning Cherokee right now by Victor Wooten which is insanlly hard and i wanna try Donna Lee by Jaco on a double bass. I need 2 more songs that don't necessarily have to be jazzish like the ones above, i was thinking somthing more technical lke Dream Theatre? Any help would be awsome!!! Thanks.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Why not do a piano piece? I recently learned Fur Elise directly from the piano version, and though it wasn't much of a challenge, I bet you could find a lot more challenging pieces out there.

3. Try 'Portrait of Tracy' on Jaco's 1st solo record

'Tricotism' by Oscar Pettiford

does it have to be solo bass? Listen to the solo on 'Manos de Piedra' on Jeff Berlin's 'Pump It!' record - it's a little hard to find, try online shops ebay, etc. It's worth it! There's also one called 'Bach'...oh man! And then there's 'Joe Fraizer'... :bag:

I always thought the bass breaks in Rush's 'YYZ' were pretty smokin'.

4. Bassman1988

Bassman1988

Jul 16, 2004
    Yeah YYZ was one the more recent songs i learned, after you hear the Dream Theatre version you cant play it the same speed as rush... :hyper:

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Pfft... Portrait of Tracy is pie.

haven't heard the other songs :p.. I think I'll download em.

6. Agreed.

7. If you learn Victor Wooten's "Classical Thump" or his version of "Norwegian Wood" they'll have to let you in or I will shoot them :)

8. Yes, it is, unless you are built like a normal human being with small hands and not alien-sized digits, lol. I can play it pretty well until the very last chord where you have to stretch your fingers from the 9th to the 13th fret and hit the false harmonic Ab and Eb. I've yet to hear another human alive who can play that song all the way and hit the last harmonics and let them ring out. If you have a copy of yourself playing that, I would surely like to hear it.

9. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Zappa's 'Enchinda's Arf (of you)' is fun, though it's got some parts that are really difficult for me, it is a great tune that really rips some people's heads off.

10. Well, Echidna's Arf is a funny song, but it doesn't work as a bass solo song.

I think "Marie" by Dominique di Piazza, from John McLaughlin trio's album "Que Alegria", would be a good choice.

11. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Tech Support- Ampeg/ Mackie
    Oh, my friend, use your imagination. Have you heard the original 'Donna Lee' before Jaco got ahold of it? Hey that's fine, I'll save the Zappa fo' myself... Oh, and I'll do some solo bass 'No Doubt', too... uh...ok.

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    The solo in Maxwell Murder by Rancid

:hyper:

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Plenty of TBers can do PoT, including the last harmonic. The last harmonic is one of the only things that takes a lot of work to play -- I picked up most of it in a couple lessons, and I am by no means a bass prodigy. Then again, I as of yet have by no means come close to getting the last harmonic ringing like Jaco, and I have pretty stubby fingers.

That said, I doubt PoT will get anyone a scholarship to a music college. It really isn't THAT hard to play.

Maybe some Mingus? I'll put in another suggestion for something from a piano -- maybe Moonlight Sonata?

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You know what they say ;).

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Those songs aren't that complicated, that's the problem. Berklee doesn't care how many Jaco or Wooten songs you can play. You need to play something that demonstrates a knowledge in theory as well as general musical ability, and a proficient skill level with your chosen instrument.

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ...go into the audition with a Real Book....any key or instrument. Pick a page out at random...then nail the song through all 12 keys. I don't think the interviewers would be as impressed with a memorized finger exercise as much as the ability to play an unfamiliar tune well the first time out through the whole cycle of fifths. :bassist: :hyper: :ninja:

17. Tommy The Cat - Primus.

Hello? I have never seen anyone besides Les play this one right.
    And I have seen Les play it.

18. pbassmanplease

pbassmanplease

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hit up sme of Billy Sheehan's stuff, that guy is crazy good so i bet u'll have a hard time with that, im not so sure exactly wat colleges want (im only 14) but i know enough to know hen i hear good...complicated music

19. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The Fish- Yes (like the live verison form Yessonsgs) and you can even elaborate oon it jack it up and make it more complicated if ya want/can.

20. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I agree. A professional music college is not going to be impressed by "chops". Here's some advice from Ed Fuqua that was in a similar thread: