Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard case - do I reaaaally need it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    My Fender came with a lovely hard case, which I don't think I really need.

I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on hard cases, whether they are absolutely necessary or not.

I have a very good gig bag (like a mono m80 but different brand) that I use for all my gigs and it seems to offer sufficient protection.

So, as I could use the case and the storage space, should I sell or keep the case?

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Absolutely necessary? no, unless you have to transport it in rough circumstances, A good gig bag will do, and be more ergonomic to boot.

You can sell the case if space is short... If it's a nice molded case I'd find it hard to do... if it's just an OK fit you can get another should you ever need one at short notice.

Your choice... I wouldn't keep it unless I was using it regularly or it was hard to replace.

3. Hardcases are butts for anything besides storage and shipping. I only use high quality bags myself - less weight, more storage, less fuss. That said, I say hang onto the case. They usually aren't worth much and you may come a across a situation where it would be beneficial to have on at your disposal (shipping, long term storage, etc).

4. Sounds like you got your mind made up. Cables fitting better and what not, I prefer my gig bag better than my hsc. It's no Fender case though so I don't think I can get much off of it...

5. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    If you're ever going to be leaving your bass unattended, putting it in the back of a vehicle, or letting someone else move it around - a well-fitting, well-padded hard case is way better. Even the best soft case won't help if someone squashes it with an amp.

It might also increase the resale value of the instrument to have the original case with it (by more than the S/H value of the case itself), as it's the best part of the 'candy' and also it should be a good fit, so by splitting them up you might be losing money long term.

6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If you're the only person who will ever handle your bass, and it will only be transported in your personal spacious vehicle, then you probably don't need the hard case. If it will ever be crammed into a van or trailer with a ton of other gear, then yes you need the hard case.

7. Hide it under the bed?

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    It is a very good fit. It's one of the Fender SKB ones with the cool latches. I have no plans to sell the bass on.

Hmm. Difficult one it is.

I only schlep my own stuff about so I don't really worry about anyone loading stuff on it etc but it may be useful to have around.

9. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    It's when plans change that getting rid of the original XYZ comes back to haunt you...

also what about when you die and you want to bequeath it to your loved ones?

What about when you've done your back stagediving and you have to get one of your boys to do it?

10. I use mine all the time at school. It is bus resistant. Also, my old soft case wasn't waterproof, but the hard case is, and before, when I was worried about it being in the 'instrument cupboard' where I would find it fallen on the floor, it now stands marvellously and somewhat dauntingly. It is also taller than most year 7s, it is fantastic at clearing a path in built up corridors. I can also keep customisation pangs at bay by spray paint and stickering the case, not the bass.

11. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    Hello, personally I think it is not strictly necessary. I use all the time my mono case (which I highly recommend).

However, in a few situations you might regret not to have one. Long trips and shipping.

So keep it!

12. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    If you really need the space, That case could be worth a nice little bit. If it's a good case It's probably worth more to you long term, and that sounds like a sweet case.

Do what you think, If the cash or the space are what you need go for it, otherwise find a good spot and hang onto it.
    It will be a value keeper with the original instrument (subject to condition of course!).

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    All my basses have hard cases for long term storage, household moves, etc. But for every day use I use my Mono M80 or ProTec bags.

14. Wallace320

Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Hi man,
    I think I know what you feel like. I'm neither wiseman, nor wizard, it's just that nearly everybody out there feels like that.

I'm Italian, so I'm possibly no giant at all, still I like the heavy weight feel of a bass, that huge powerful hard belly hitting ground shaking instrument we all know and love...

But hey! What about hardcases?

Those squared, big, heavy uncomfortable things. Think about this:
    do you prefer to sleep in a sleepin' bag or in a proper bed? So
    "does" the bass!:D
    Alright: I'm kidding you...

I was born, raised and live in Milan, north of Italy. A week before my marriage, my band and myself had to play at the annual "meeting" gig of our management back in those days...
    This management works (uhm...) and supports (double uhm!!!) bands from whole Italy, but resides in Rome, lyin' in the very center of our small yet sleek and long country.

We went to play there by car, because all kind of resident gear was available, apart from obligatory personal instruments pedalboards and heads.

I used there my then brand new Yamaha Attitude limited II (Billy Sheehan bass on the back to Budokan 2009 Mr. Big tour). Mid trip (on Tuscany mountains) we stopped for gasoline and a sandwich. Two cars: lead singer/rhythm guitar (and his gear) and drummer on one; myself and lead guitar (and our gear) on the other. The car I owned back in those days had backseats blackened glasses, so you couldn't watch thru them

Back from the break, I found one of'em half open (there's an automatic antitheft detent to prevent a complete opening other than crashing'em)
    and the key closed Yamaha squared and hardly fittin' hard case, placed backseat all over the other smaller gear was simply impossible to remove to let anything out of my car:hyper:

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Gigs bags are great, but once you're loading up the trailer/van/bus a case gives you a lot of extra comfort.

16. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I think I shall keep the case :) I just wish I could carry it around on my back like a gig bag (I like to do one trip load ins as I live in a dodgy part of town) and can't manage my amp with one arm.

17. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I only lug around gig bags to gigs these days, but I store most of my basses in hard cases. I stuck as many of them as I could under the bed and the rest are standing up in the closet.

18. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Yeah, keep it. Stick it under the bed out of the way. If you're not strapped for cash, it's not worth selling it, and it may come in handy down the line and you'll regret selling.

I don't drive, and so I use an iGig bag, which does the job wonderfully. Heavy padding and plenty of storage space, even for my LMII head. The hard case my Attitude came in is under the bed with another bass in to keep it out of the way.

However, if I ever get round to learning to drive, then I would probably use the hard case instead, as it'd more 'road worthy'.

19. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    I love mine! I even bought one for my MIM P which has been my main gigging bass, short of being run over by a truck they are pretty much bulletproof. :cool:

20. The first time you and your band load ALL of your gear into a vehicle and go on tour you'll wish you had the hard case.