Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard Cases or Gig Bags?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Hard Case

111 vote(s)
    60.7%
  2. Gig Bag

72 vote(s)
    39.3%
  1. I put this here because I figured that it has more to do with "gig stories" then anything else.
    Anyway, which do you prefer? Honestly, I like gig bags just because they're so much lighter and easier to get around with. I'm careful enough with my basses that I don't worry about hurting it in the less protective case, but I can't argue with the safety of a hard-shell.

Remember, we all use both. The question is, which do you prefer?

2. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    I prefer a hard shell flight rated case. But, driving an Hyundai Elantra I'ne been using a good gig bag a lot lately.
    I've used both over the years with no real damages to my basses from either. How ever I have seen what happens when someone backs a van full of band equipment over a 68 jazz in a tweed case.
    Pretty kindling anyone?

3. i would have to go with the hardshells that came with my bass, because driving a honda civic with two cabs in the back seat a head in the front seat cables and all the other nonsence in the truck i need my bass to be save as can be for like a hour long drive to a show or something. granted they are heavier and harder to work with and get around but i think the extra saftey they have in protect a $1000 bass is well worth the extra room they take up.

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    i usually take the gig bag to practices, but the hardcase usually comes for the gigs.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    most of the time a hardcase because all of our gear including guitars is in our band trailer when traveling to gigs. but i also do gigs where I meet the band at the venue in my own vehicle, then I use gig bags.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    As long as I'm handling the bass and driving, I use a gig bag. If I have to check the bass, or put it in a van or truck etc.... I grab the hard case.

7. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    After trying a bunch of different cases and gig bags, finding that many seem to lack in one area or another, I've found that these are really nice...

http://www.ptcases.com/items.asp?ProductID=275&InstrumentGroupID=4&CategoryID=2&InstrumentID=5

Bought one a couple months ago and love it. I was concerned about the back-tilted headstock on a couple of my basses and this case has excellent neck support for such a thing. Seems very sturdy and durable so far...most of the protection of a hardcase (it's like dense 1" thick, rigid foam) but less weight. Also has more storage room than I've ever seen on a case... both inside and out. IMO, the best case for the money... think I paid somewhere around $70 shipped. Planning on picking up another soon for one of my other basses that currently lives in a gig bag.
    ---
    Chris

8. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I prefer the hardshell case.

I do own a gig bag and use it when I need/have to.......:hyper:

9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I've been using gig bags for almost 20 years now and only have one hard case left.

I especially think that since Incase came out with their excellent cross between the two that there should be lots of converts over to cases that can be carried over the shoulder.:hyper:

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Hard case, every time. I don't care if it's never going to leave the house, even if it's staying in a cupboard, I have to have a hardcase if it is anywhere near expensive.

My cheap fretless I just keep in a bag since I rarely gig it.

11. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Gig bag without a doubt. Easier to manage, smaller (in most cases)... I guess it all depends on the use actually.. I'd NEVER take a gigbag to a hotel.. I'd always take a hardshell case with me with a lock.. I'd always take a hardshell on a plane... but if I'm going to a gig.. class... jam session something like that.. gig bag all the way.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Gig bags.

If I was throwing my stuff in someone else's truck, I'd probably want hard cases. But since I bring my stuff in my car, I never saw a need for anything but gig bags.
    Plus, they're lighter, and I'm lazy - especially at the end of a night.
    :cool:

13. Gig bag all the way, I´m just too damn lazy for hard shells. When I get a new, shiny piece of gear, I may treat it with care for a while. But eventually I just get tired of worrying and let it go. Sure, the bass may lose some resale value for every dent and scratch, but that is a price I am willing to pay for convenience.

14. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    I can't realy choose. I don't have a car so it's easier with a soft case. If I was doing a gig I would use my hard case. I do have a story of when I was doing work experience at the local music store. I was asked to deliver an accustic down the road so it could be put on the bus for transporting. As I was crossing at an intersection a guy of a bike slamed into me. I landed on the guitar that was in a cardboard box. I knew it would have survived so I went back to the store. The owner wasn't to impressed til I made a little joke about hard compared to soft. It must have got him thinking cos next day there was the guitar I landed on hanging up still damaged with a sign saying "Can't decide if you want hard or soft case?". He said he sold a record number of hardcases the next month! Well I got one of the best evaluation of work experience in school. There were a few other incidents in that week. I'll have to post them at a later date.

J Q F
    www.mp3.com.au/jimmyquickfingers

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I personally like having both. If i'm going to do some hardcore traveling or i'm going to be in places where my bass can get damaged easily, i'll take my hardshell case. If i'm feeling lazy i'll just take my gig bag.

16. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Hard case. Don't own a gig bag, and never will - nothing more than a repair job looking for a place to happen.

- Tim

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Well said.

18. billio

billio Bass Head

I've seen the vacuum formed, hard plastic type of hard case split before, when something heavy has been dropped on it - I think "fragile" stickers must be a challenge to some baggage handlers!

I have several Protec cases - high density foam covered in cordura and they take a beating without any damage to the intstrument inside. Heaps lighter than a "proper" flight case too...

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I prefer a hard case. I play a lot of showcases and outdoor venues, and my bass is safer in a hard case. And, I have stickers all over my case, so it is unmistakable when sitting among other cases. I have two basses, and whichever one I'm not taking to the gig, I put that one in my gig bag. I guess when I get used to the five-string, I'll have to get a hard case for it, so it can come along on gigs and be there when I want/need it.

Cherie

20. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do not ever buy or build a bass without a hard case, PERIOD. I like to take extra care of my basses. That is why my 1982 bass shows no sign of fretwear and still looks like it did the day I bought it. The hard case keeps it safe.