Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard choice...need help guys...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Micolao, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Rosewood or maple??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :help: :help: :help:
    Do you think there will be a substantial change in terms of sound?
    I play something between the Cure/a Perfect Circle/Tool/ Helmet...
    Suggestions?
    Anybody have this bass?? I'm going to buy this model instead of the active jazz model...I'm wrong?? :help:
    What you think about it?

anyone also knows if is possible to find a black pickguard for this model with 4 pots?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Micolao,

I have the passive version of this bass w/maple fb.

I was able to try a number of them with both necks before I bought.

In general, I found the maple ones had, be it rather subtle, a bit more resonance and a bit brighter, clearer tone. I just kept coming back to the maple and that's what I bought.

As always, your ears will be the final judge.

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Thank you...
    but the fact is that I will not have the opportunity to try one, cause I'm going to buy on line... :rolleyes: :meh:
    So I'm also asking to you little rewies of this bass...
    Thank you in advance... ;)

4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Personally I never thought Fender really made a good active bass, I would tend to look at the passive version.

I was a proponent of maple fingerboards for years and owned both American P and J basses new and vintage all with Maple fingerboards. My favorite bass is a Lakland Jo (Jazz style) with a rosewood board and I love it, it is more difficult to get that Marcus Miller sound but everything else is just great.

Without knowing to much about you I'd say buy the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass and replace the pickguard.

Pete

5. Whatever you get, change the PG. I don't think gold looks good with maple or rosewood.

Or anything for that matter.

*Edit* If you're going for a black PG and you play heavier music, go with the rosewood.

6. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy

Thnk you,
    I totally agree, I don't like the gold pg, and I think I'll go with black or tortoise, but I was wandering where to find the right PG with 4 holes..
    Do you think I had to get a normal one and make the holes by myself?

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I must be deficient somehow, but I honestly cannot hear a difference between rosewood, maple or ebony. I can definately FEEL a difference though, which is why I prefer ebony. Feels the best under my fingers.

8. yeh, i can see where your coming from. There definately is a difference tho, as was stated above, it is very subtle. You really have to be able to play both basses side my side. But then again my ears have never been to crash hot either.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Micolao,

Since you were specific enough to describe what you're after, I believe you can't go wrong with a P (either active or passive, either regular or special). What you need is lows and low-mids, and the P was built for that.

I'm really not sure rosewood vs maple will make that of a big difference in tone.

I am personally more comfortable on rosewood boards than on maple ones.

Lookwise, the rosewood version of this bass looks better, IMO.

But finally all this is a matter of personal taste.

BTW, I suggest that you get your bass from a dealer who offers a return policy. Be careful on that point, you're never fully protected against a bad instrument, at least in mass production series.

Cheers,
    Jay

10. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm not sure about tone wise...but there is definately a different feel between Rosewood and maple fretboards. Can't really describe it. I prefer the rosewood...it feels more solid to me...like the bass is finished. I don't know...

11. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy

You said many right things man... ;)
    Actually I like better the rosewood lookwise.
    this infact is actually my bass, assembled by myself with some parts:
    [​IMG]
    good looking, great sound...
    but I think I'm going to sell it... :ninja:
    don't ask me why... :rolleyes: I still don't know... :meh:
    maybe It's only time to change for me...

do you think I'm making a great mistake?

12. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    +1

I tend to favor maple for the same reason. Now, keep in mind, that the difference isn't a "slap-you-in-the-face" differece; I'ts more of a subtle "feel" of the wood.

I own both a bass with RW and maple, I and find myself frequently reaching for the one with the maple FB.

Hope this helps.

My advice is to go to a local shop and play a few. They don't even have to be the same one you're considering, but it would be most valuable to you to just try and get a feel for what we're talking about.

13. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    The fact is that I love the feeling with the rosewood but I also like (the look of) maple neck, BUT NOT with the satin finish of the second pics on my first post...
    THIS is what I call a maple neck:
    [​IMG]
    INSTEAD OF THIS:
    [​IMG]

So If the sound is not TOO different,I think I'll go with rosewood...

14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My current (and only) bass is rosewood. I tend to prefer that. ALthough, I really like the Geddy Lee jazz with the maple board. Guess I wan't much help.

If I had to pick, I'd go rosewood, but that's just what I like.

15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say go with the maple. Personally, I think it looks better, and feels better. That is, if it's not too glossy.