Hard choice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass__player01, Apr 21, 2005.

1. I've been working for a restaurant for the last 6 months... I started washing the dishes and recently, I started helping the cook doing the food, which gave me a better salary.

Now my friend is working in a place where we can rent video, and i've always wanted to do this job. I just couldn't get hired for it so i found something else (my job in the restaurent).

But now someone got fired at the video store and my friend spoke to his boss about me, and if I want, i could get hired there.

The problem is, i wouldnt be paid as much as i am at the restaurent, and i would have less hours of work.

what should I do... change for the job i like, no matter what are the consequences (less money, less work but me loving my job) or keep my job at the restaurent and work a lot, get paid a lot, but have no fun at all (hate the job, and i've got to work every thursday, friday and saturday night, from 6pm to maybe midnight or 1h am.... :rolleyes: )

oh and i forgot to mention, I'm still at school, those are part time jobs and i dont need this money to survive because i still live with my parents :smug:
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If ya don't need the money and hours, get outta there. Especially since you dislike it. I'd say jump on the opportunity and get the video store. Of course the end choice is yours.

3. Video store - no contest.

Life is too short etc etc.

Enjoy it. :) :)
  4. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    Take a job.

You dont really need and money and the experience would look good on your resume.
  5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Unless you're saving up for something in particular or have some other reason to really need the extra cash right now, NEVER take a job you hate but pays more over one you want that pays less.
  6. Yeah, what he said. Take the job you'll like better - if you don't, you'll regret it every day single day that you're at the job you hate.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think you already said yourself.
  8. On the other hand

If the guy your with know at the reasturant likes you and has been teaching you, that is some valuable experince. Sounds like your going for a degree in school, but cooking can be a good fall back in case you have a glitch in school.

Even if you dont use it as a career, cooking is a very useful skill (much so around the ladys)
    Also sounds like you have some security were you are at now, there will always be lots of "clerk" jobs at stores to be had. try sticking with it for a while.

Disclamer: Ok Ok I'm a chef who dropped out of premed to start cooking. Yeah the hours suck, its hot and smoky and smelly, and you get cut and burnt alot. you get so sick of looking at food, you don't want to eat anything.

But I love it.

If you know you don't love it, run for the hills and take the job at the video store :D :D :D
  9. I went for a job that paid a lot thinking that the money would justify itself. Not so... I am now following my heart instead of a paycheck. Sounds like you would be happier at the video store, but FenderBender has a valid point. Go with what seems right to you.
  10. +2.

Young people who have unwanted children have to do what you're describing.

You said you don't really need the money, so I'd tell you to enjoy your youth now; you'll be working for the rest of your life.

You're only young once.

Your call. Good luck

Mike ;)
  11. Alright, you all seem to be going with the video store, and honestly, that's what my heart is choosing all the way!

but my head (and mother) is saying to keep the job where i am safe and have more money....

Another problem is, I hate the job at the restaurent but love the people there... they are all kind with me and teach me all their tricks to cook and always seems to put their hope into me, and my future in this place!
    I feel sad when i'm thinking at the moment i would have to anounce them i'm leaving, because it would be a total surprise for them.

that's the main cause i'm hesitating to leave this place... not for the cash or anything but... i would hate to get there and tell them i'm leaving

anyway thanks for your help :p