Hard disk question Virus??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, May 26, 2003.

1. I have a problem with my computer. I use it for recording, and it has a C drive 10Gig scsi HD, and a D drive 20 Gig IDE hd. Anyways, in the middle of the recording, I found myself running out of space. Now, the C drive has nothing in it except windows/programs, and the folder in which i am doing the recording into. So since it has 10 gig, and the folder is 2.39Gig, how come I'm only left with 900Meg of space??

It's weird man! A 10 Gig harddrive, with a folder the size of 2.39 Gig, and I'm left with 900 meg. Anyone please help. Thanks
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Flush your internet explorer cache and empty all Temp folders.

You can use Window Washer for that too.

Also, get TweakUI to disable the low disk space warning.

It's also recommended to limit the internet explorer cache size, you can do that in the options.

You also should set your swap file size to a fixed value, e.g. 200 MB.
  3. I did man, I went to the Temp folder and deleted everything inside. I cleaned up all the cookies, and all the internet stuff. Even if that's the reason, it wouldn't occupied that much space right?
  4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

In my totally unqualified and self-taught experience, it sounds to me like your drive is partitioned.

The best way I can explain partitions is that they are used to separate a drive into sections that can be used independently, usually by two separate OS's. If you bought the computer new and that is the original drive, I'm not sure exactly why it would be partitioned. If, however, the computer is second-hand, the previous owner could have partitioned the drive for one reason or another.

Thats what it sounds like to me, but I'm really not sure.
  5. Oh no man, I've been using this computer for more than 2 years. It has a C Drive, and a D drive. The one I'm talking about is the C drive. It's a scsi, in which I use it for extensive audio recording. Now, the size of the drive is 10 Gig, but since the only thing that's in it is 2.39 Gig, and the rest are Windows and OS, how come I'm only left with 900 megs?
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Check out the individual folder sizes from "top" [c:\] to "bottom" to determine where the space hog is.

Also, make sure hidden and system files are displayed in explorer.

Windows XP (assuming you use that) takes roughly 1.5 gigs, additional files can be the swap file which is defaulted to more than a gig on new machines (can be changed in control center -> system) and the hibernation file, which has the size of you system ram.

Additionally, the backup shapshots of the system recovery function can take a lot of space.

Check all those, a virus is unlikely IMO. But run a scanner just in case.
  7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, JMX is definitely my superior in anything computer related, so definitely go with what he says. However, that's not what I was talking about. When you install a hard drive you have the option of partitioning (and I'm sure can do it otherwise, I just don't know how) the drive into separate sections. I'm sure JMX can explain it better though, so ask him if you wanna know:p
  8. JMX, Hunter and all the rest, my computer has finally been healed!! I tried everything, and finally fixed the problems. Someone told me never to defrag a scsi hard drive, and after trying everything, my last try would be to defrag the drive. But for some reason, windows can't defrag it, so I went and download a defrag software, and Oila!! It free up 5 gigs of space!

And today I bought a Maxtor 80 gig external harddrive....my life's way easier now:)