Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard Drive MP3 Players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I'm talking about the portable kind here, the HDD players, not the flash memory.

I'm in the market for one. I'm too poor for an iPod, although from what I've read it seems to be the best. I could only afford the 15gb model, and I'd like a bit more space than that.

I've been looking at the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra in the 40gb size. I've heard horror stories about the headphone jacks with these, though. I've had that happen with many CD players, and it is infuriating, I don't want to live that again. I know someone here was a firm Zen advocate. I really like the fact that it will only cost me $270 for a 40gb player, but I've heard so much bad press.

The RCA Lyra is out. It seems that positive reviews of those are completely non-existant.

The Rio Karma is a possibility, if I wanted to pay a little more than the Zen, and get only 20gb of space. I've heard some bad stuff there about the audio quality, though.

I haven't heard much about the Dell Jukebox, but some people have recommended those to me.

What would you recommend?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was about to recommend the iPod, but then I saw you said it was too expensive.

I just used my 10 Gig iPod to transfer my music and important documents and files from my old computer to my new one.

Peace
    Nick

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I keep hearing great things about this one whenever a MP3 player thread is started.

Do a forum search for "iPod" and you will see what I mean.

Peace
    Nick

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    have a philips 20gig - i really don't recommend it - the line out/headphone jack just doesn't put out much

also the software that came with it for the comp isn't that all great

i think blisshead is the local guru on the Zen, i could be wrong, though

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Fwiw, HP is going to be producing an HP branded 'iPod'

It should go on sale early summer, and will likely be sold cheaper than apple's. how? because, apple is expected to release the 4th generation iPod around then, so HP will be selling the 3rd generation(Current) models, for a cheaper price. They will be HP blue, and feature an HP logo, but other than that, no difference.

of course, I don't know if this is correct, but it makes a lot of sense.

7. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    dont buy the ipod!!!!
    They are awful. people say they are the best, but they are only judginf them by their looks. Look at all of apples' computers. They do look strange and cutting edge, but are they any good- heck no. At the university of southampton people have bought them, and the battery goes completely. So then they have to bypass that battery and carry around a battery pack. I checked and apple dont even replace the battery if you send it back.

I recomend the iriver ihp-120. it cost £255 for 20gb. it is much better than the ipod. the ipod battery is 8 hours.

Use a bit of common sense on buying one. Dont buy from a company that has more people employed on what the product looks like than how it works. Iriver all the way :p :p :p

8. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    on the recent thread:

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Where do you get your info?

Apple uses the same type of batery in their iPod as you will find in most portable devices in cluding other MP3 players and cell phones. There have been some that have gone bad in less than 2 years, but Apple will replace them for a price (around $90 I believe). You can also replace them yourself for $30-60 depending on what kit you buy.

I have one and I think its great.

Yes it looks nice but thats not why I bought it, if it was I wouldnt have gotten that ugly ass case I did.

I bought it because of the reviews I read and because when I used my friends I found it to be extreemly user friendly. It took me a total of two seconds to figure out how to use it.

Browsing can be done by many different criteria (artist, genre, album, song, copmoser etc.) You can easily transfer your saved playlist from your computer (only real downside is that you cant manage and edit saved playlist on the go) and create and edit an "on the go" play list. I also like that I can use it as my alarm clock.

Besides using it as an MP3 player, it works great as an external hard drive. As I stated earlier I used it to transfer lots of important files, pictures, and documents from my old computer to my new one. I also have a full list of phone numbers saved in it since my phone doesnt hold as many phone numbers as Id like. You use it like you would use and other external storage device. Just drag files into the iPod which shows up in my computer with the other drives.

Admitedly, I dont know if the others have these features, but I know that the iPod does.

Another big plus is that the iPod has more accessories, software, and support available than the other brands from what Ive seen.

Peace
    Nick

10. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    rio is the best on the go.. really.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree that there us a lot, but I have also seen a lot in otehr threads here.

I've read in other threads here that you can only use the iPod with one computer (not true as Ive used it on both of mine). Ive read that you cant use it as an external hard drive (not true again, that would have made what I did impossible). Ive also read that its impossible to move songs from your iPod to PC which is only half true. While its not part of the programming that comes with the software, there are programs and iPod interfaces that allow you to do move songs from the iPod to a computer. Im sure there is more out there, but those are two clear things.

Sorry for de-realing the thread.

Peace
    Nick

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    AFAIK you can only sync the iPod with one PC? Is that true? I know you can use them with as many as you like but I have head the syncing function is not made for more than one PC.

13. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    I have the Zen Xtra 40g.
    The ipod was too pricey for me and the fact that the Zen had the removable battery sealed the deal. I had shopped around for about 4 months before hand are the specs on just about all the hd based players and the battery issue was my main concern. I know what mobile batteries can be like after a 7 months and i didnt want to have shelled out serious money for a player that would die in the arse.

The Zen is great. Ive had no problems with the jack at all, and i use it with earphones, decent headphones and i plug it into the back of my Arcam FMJ A32.

Browsing the Zen i found cumbersome at first because i was so used to Winamps playlist. I was spoilt by the width of the windows, so making the switch to the Zen was difficult. Once you get used to carry around your entire Cd & Lp collection plus what ever you can download (dont steal music :) ) it will really grow on you.

It has all the features that you would expect an mp3 should have like, browse by artist, album, track, genre; playlists on the fly; search; eq; shuffle; random; button lock; USB 2.0 and creative's DSP effects such as concert hall, garage, jazz etc etc which i dont use.

It doesnt have a radio in it like some do, but then again, if you have 40gig of music why do you need a radio?

Its not all that heavy and is quite compact. It easily fits into all my pockets, but because it had the brushed aluminium type finish it can be slippery against some fabrics so the carry case is good if your going to be moving around a lot.

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    No the deal is with the iPod you can't switch between a mac and a PC. If you do, it erases all the files, because it has to be formatted differently.

15. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003

Thankyou Nick. like i said i get my information from southampton university, ECS department (electronics and computer sciences). you may know your music, but they know their capacitors from their electrolitic capacitors. these people are very dedicated. i had my lunch break with them and all they were doing was talking computers. i cant remember where i got the fact about apples workers, with there being more working on design than how it works. But it does stand to reason. look at all their computers. they do look pretty :rolleyes: groovy :rolleyes: but they are useless. I mean think, why do most people buy a normal looking computer when they can buy an apple, it's because they know what is better. Looks vs. Performance. performance wins easilly. Apple get the looks part right always, but does the unit perform well?

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Dude, my computer isn't useless, far far far from it in fact, so shut up.

17. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    woah woah woah (thats english for stop a horse). I am not saying your computer is useless. But for me, i would rather have a better working pc, than a better looking pc. Looks arent everything. I have seen reviews on the iriver ihp-120. They were saying its great and all that, but they were going to get the ipod because it looks nicer; yet its an mp3 player-which will be in your pocket until you change tracks.

Dont get the wrong end of the stick here. i was only saying what i think. your pc may not be useless, but for me, i can't stand apple

18. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My 40 GB iPod has preformed very well with no problems.

I knew about the battery issues when I purchased it. Once I found out that I could replace the battery.....I was sold.

The other reason I picked up the iPod was the interface. I have used a few other players and I just never liked them as much as the scroll-wheel on the iPod.

I have never had any problems with any mac product I have purchased.
    I am happy with my iPod, G4 Powerbook and G3 Tower. (Heck, I still have my old LC475! and it still works fine!)

I will keep recomending Mac products based on my experiences.

But, in the end, each to their own.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well, if my computer isn't useless, then how is it that apple computers are useless? you're just stating your opinion, but you are stating it as though it's a fact, which is not alright.

My computer works better than any PC I've *ever* used, there's a reason I stick with apple, and it has NOTHING to do with looks.

20. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    You are right, there is more to the Macs than looks.

There is no way in justifying calling Macs useless. Almost every major studio I have been to and worked in uses the Mac platform. The majority of records are now done on pro-tools via Mac.

I have a PC as well, but I use my Macs because they suit my needs better.