1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hard drive question for the geeks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I just got a new HD, and have a few questions...

1. Anyone have any info on the drive I got? It's a Western Digital Caviar 200GB (WD2000JB).

2. And, what's the best way to partition up this drive, meaning how many partitions (for Windows, apps, data, swap file, etc.), sizes of said partitions, etc. when I install.

I'll be keeping the old drive in there as well, mainly for backup purposes. It's an 80GB drive.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Eric

2. Its a pretty standard drive, WD are a good make, im getting one of thier raptor drives soon :)

Personally, i wouldnt run extra partitions, they usually just add more hassle than they are worth

All i'd say is keep defragging it on a regularish basis, with 200Gbs the drive can get clogged quite easily when nearly full (thats what i did with mine and defragging that took forever!)

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I was going to help you out until you called me a geek. :spit:

:D

-Mike

4. :bag: Hey, I wish I was more of a geek. That's a complimentary term anymore

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Extra partitions are more hassle then they are worth for most folks.

Only reason for additional partitions is if you are running multiple OSes, or you want to lock down a particular volume. Other than that it just makes defrag and scandisk go faster.

6. I like keeping my hd partitioned, mostly because I like keeping my stuff organized.

I have:
    1 for windows
    1 for applications
    1 for games and
    1 for media files.

I gave one 20gb partition for windows and then divided the other three with what was left over.

Like already mentioned defrag will go quickly, but an other plus is If you have to reload your OS for any reason you will not lose anything on the other partitions. Things like games and application you will have to reload, but it will retain any saved information. Also, windows folders like "my docs" "my music" etc.. can be redirected to the media partition so as not to overload the smaller partition you put your OS on.

The down side is you will have to make your own folders when loading a new program on a partition other than what your OS is partitioned on. When downloading a new program it will always go to your "C" partition so you have to direct it to the other partition and then to the new folder you made.

Personally for me, I think it's worth it. If you don't see yourself going through the extra steps every time you want to add a new program, game or whatever, you should make one partition.

EDIT:
    I'm not in the realm of geektum by the way, I learned how to do this stuff on my own by searching the web. I think if I can learn how to do this, just about anyone can.

7. WD makes good drives, it should last you years and years.

I like to make a separate partition for my OS (~4-6GB) just to keep stuff organized. If you need to reformat the windows partition, you'll still need to re-install all of your programs; but, your files will still be intact.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't partition any of my drives.

-Mike

9. Thank to everyone for the replies. Keep 'em coming.

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd keep the old drive for Windows and crucial programs, throw the new in as extra and partion it in two, one for misc software and one for entertainment stuff - however, this is just because I'm used in having three partitions.

Old customs is pretty much the only thing why to partition any drive.

11. It can help (a little) for those of us that are too lazy to make backups.

With an OS partition, you just format that if Windows (which I'm assuming the OP is using) decides to axe itself or something. You'll still have to reinstall programs and stuff, but at least your files are still there.

It can be a pain in the rear at times though..

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    True. I have a PC upstairs in my house with no ethernet card or modem in it. I use Norton Ghost to store images of all my PC's on it. I update the images every time anything important changes on one of my computers.

If I ever do have any problems, it takes about five minutes to resote my PC to the state it was in before it had a problem.

-Mike

13. Sorry to derail a little, i was thinking about getting Norton Ghost for saving drive images and for cloning my current harddrive onto a new drive (im getting a WD raptor :) ), you ever had any bother with ghost? It has less than sparkling reviews on the net, but of course people are more likely to complain about something that give it praise

14. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Partitionning is good if you're thinking of stocking files on one of the partitions. The way I do it is make 2 partitions, one for the system and all applications, one for music, movies, whatever else I want to stock.

15. Hey guys...

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate it. What I ended up doing was putting 3 partitions on the drive. 1 for the OS, 1 for apps, and one for all my data.

I do have a question, however. How can I get all my Outlook and IE settings (mail, favorites, address book, etc) over to the new drive. When I try to run them from the old drive, it brings up the default empty settings. I'm kinda stumped on that one!

Again, thanks everyone!

Eric

16. You can make a back up of "my docs & settings" with the windows back up utility and it will save everything like "My (your) favorites, documents, etc. For Outlook Express I think you have to back it up separately. take a look at this

17. This looks like it's exactly what I want. Thanks much! Unfortunately, I won't be home to work on it till tomorrow, so I won't know for sure until then.

Thanks a ton. :hyper: