Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hard drives

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stingray, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    does it matter how many rpms 5400 or 7200 on a hard drive when recording on a computer and soundcard based system

2. Hey Stingray,
    The 7200 will give you quicker access time meaning you will be able to open and save files quicker.
    Otherwise you shouldn't see much difference.

--Charlie

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Random access will be quicker, sequential read/write less so.

Keep in mind that 7200 HDs are probably louder and may require active cooling (fan).

Using a RAID system might be a good idea also, since it can be used to turn 2 HDs into one virtual drive with almost double transfer rate.

[EDIT] Some IBM drives have/had a history of disk failures, and I'm not sure if their reliability has improved. I have a Maxtor 60 GB/7200 drive which runs fine.

Another thing: Most modern drives have acoustic management features that are enabled by default, slowing the drive down a little. Check the manufacturer's website for a tool to change the setting. I turned it off to get the highest possible speed, and the disk noise increased only slightly.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    On a related note... The Seagate Barracuda IV drives are interesting. 7200 RPM, heavily shielded from static electricity and shocks, while being close to dead-quiet. Benchmarks have been above average too, at least in the tests I've seen. I was so tempted to buy one that I actually did, and so far it has worked just fine, and I can only hear it occasionally.

5. hmmm.. my IBM drive has a loose power connector and has fallen to the floor... and it still runs perfectly! :D