Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hard jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fenderboy, Aug 29, 2002.

1. fenderboy

fenderboy

Jun 21, 2002
    Hey wondering if anyone can give me any cool jazz slap/pop songs but dont say the usuall like classicall thump or anything cause i already know it but i just want a cool jazz song to play . thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

call me stupid, but 'cool jazz song' and 'slapped/popped' at the same time, I can't figure this out in my head.
    Got any example of things you enjoy ?

3. I thought this was going to be about music like Mahavishnu Orchestra and other outfits that play similar music. I think people have different interpretations of what "Jazz" music is. The other day, my uncle gave me a CD of what he thought was "really cool" jazz. Turned out to be some new age crap.

Ok, back on topic: If you give us some examples, we might be able to better help you with recommendations of songs along the same vein of what you're searching for.

4. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Why not check out some Bela Fleck with Vic Wooten or some of Scofields albums where Gary Grainger is playing bass...

5. This should be in the "Recordings" forum.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    didn't mingus slap on some stuff?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let me hear you play Classical Thump and I'll make some suggestions.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Don't know...he didn't 'slap' like Slam Stewart or Milt Hinton(IMO).

I still like Kim Stone's slap/pop intro figure on Spyro Gyra's "City Kids".

When I say "Hard Jazz" as this thread's title, I though "Goodie, I'll be able to talk about what I'm listening to right now"-
    Peter Brotzmann/Chicago Tentet + 2-Short Visit To Nowhere

Very "hard", difficult, & not for the faint of heart.
    It will put hair on your chest.

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Lets hear you play classical thump.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    ha!
    thats great.
    classical thump is a bold claim guy, and now we want to hear it....what has become of your modest thread in search of slap jazz?....well not super modest(any thread that says you can play classical thump isn't super modest)
    I've been learning classical thump...I got most of it down....but not the last bit though....I kind of stopped listening to it. I wonder If I could still play it.

you might find some hard jazz-esque stuff from stanley clarke and return to forever...but its not really straight jazz...thats some cool stuff though

12. randomname

randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Try some Dillinger Escape Plan. That's hard jazz!

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oooh, that's the kind of jazz I like best! I saw that album in the Avant section of my fave record store this weekend... I should've bought it. :(

15. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    if slap isn't a requirement, could one consider a couple of charlie hunter's bands "hard jazz"?