1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard maple body blank - where?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by aborgman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. I'm trying to find a hard maple body blank, and having little luck.

Yeah, I can just buy lumber and glue one up - but I'd prefer to go the lazy/easy route and just buy a blank.

I need 14" x 20" (or bigger) at 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" thickness, hard maple.

I don't want birdseye. I don't want any figuring. I don't care about color or grain. I don't care if it has glue lines. The bass is going to be finished in a solid color.

Anyone have any suggestions on suppliers? Or a chunk of plain old ugly hard maple they want to get rid of at a low price?

2. Just curious, why Maple?

3. It's going to be a pseudo-Rickenbacker.

4. bump

5. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Try ebay, there's some interesting/ unique stuff on theren, and in some cases pretty cheap.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Do you know for sure that Rics use hard maple? Necks, yes, but the bodies? I would have guessed that the bodies could be soft maple, since it's lighter, and possibly in better supply or cheaper, and I think looks the same. The 4002 birdseye bodies would be hard maple, though.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    You can get blanks from warmoth or USACG, i believe.

8. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You could PM me...

9. From everything I've read, the 4001/4003 are all hard maple. I've actually considered soft maple, because blanks are a lot easier to come by.

10. Both Warmoth and USACG sell bodies in hard maple but their blanks only come in alder, swamp ash, and mahogany.

11. I'm PMing you right now :bassist:

12. They are definitely Hard maple, the 4001/4003 basses, as well as the 2000 and 3000 series basses. It's the reason they go "CLANG!" when you strike the strings.

I might pm Mikey as well.

13. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You should probably PM him soon, he is going to have a busy weekend in the shop.

14. ... that I found a few days ago, but sorry, it's taken.
    It's in my shop waiting for me to pay it some attention...