Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard-Metal basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am legend, May 2, 2002.

1. Hello, I need help. I'm playing in a metal band with a Yamaha RBX260 and a SWR workingmans 2004 head and a SWR workingman's 2X10 with Tweeter...I am pondering wheather to purchase an Epiphone Thunderbird or mybe a MIM P-bass. But i don't know if they would cut through a thick mix with 2 guitars.. any help with creating a good tone with the amp and basses would be great
    Thanks

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, a 2x10 in a metal band is gonna get lost regardlessof the bass. The fact is that between a nuts drummer and 2 guitarists, 2x10's and a WM4004 are gonna get blown away. If you wanna sit well in the mix, fire it up in the amp department. The bass can wait, believe me.

3. I second that motion...you need something more for the situation, amp wise, at least in my opinion.

-Dave

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    if you still want a bass look into the Fernandes basses.
    the tremor series are awsome for the price and they sound and look good

5. What sorta amp? A 15' or a new head? or what
    any brands? I don't have much money

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If I was in your situation, I would add another cabinet first. Probably a 410.

You also need another head, something plenty of juice, but adding the additional cabinet is the quickest, more cost effective way of pumping up your rig.

Pushing more juice into that 210 isn't going to make a great deal of difference.

Step two is swap out the head. I would want something that pushed 600 watts the the minimum in that setting.

As far as brands, IME, Peavey and Carvin are about the best low priced stuff.

I would suggest Peavey for cabinets and Carvin for the the head.

Chas

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah a 15 would be nice you need more volume then both the guitarist (but dont all bassist :D )
    heh =D Im not a total amp expert
    Im in a metal band also though and i own a yamaha rbx bass.. right now i have a peavey stack sorta. its a 400 watt amp with a 15 at the bottem and then i added another cab and its 2 10s at the top and it gives me some nice megadeth tones with both my fender MIM P bass and my Yamaha rbx bass
    well goodluck with your band situation
    Go to a music store and try out the different amps..IMHO id try out some ampegs or else a Sansamp bass DI... they seem pretty sweet..
    Anybody correct me on this cause im not like the most experienced gear head but on say a Boss Gt-6B.. if you had 1x12 or 1x15 and you put say a Ampeg 8x10 on a 1x12 hartke amp (friends in church band).. would it make it sound pretty much like a 8x10 and cut through better? hes asking this question and doesn't have the net..

8. 15's put out the most bang for your buck, and they can usualy handle plenty of bottom. I too am in a metal band, and I have just recently found the tone I need to cut through. I did buy a new bass, but I don't think that was what did it. Mainly I messed with my amp, a Peavy, and that did the trick. If you do need a new amp, go with 15's, and I suggest Peavy, Ampeg, or Carvin heads, not Carvin cabs though.:cool:

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i found out the 410 and the 15 is the way to go
    you can get any sound that you want out of it.
    it sounds great

10. I'd step up to a Spector 4 string if you want the bite to go along with the bark!

www.spectorbass.com

11. Yeah, add a nice 1x15" to your setup. That'll give you the extra decibels and rumble you need.

Next, a slightly higher-powered head, EQ'ed properly (use those mids!!) and you'll be punching like no tomorrow. Then, get a Spector, Musicman or Peavey Cirrus, something punchy. This will get you through the mix.

Good luck.

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Regardless of which bass and amp you choose, don´t forget to turn up some mids at 800 Hz more or less...... they are the clue to brake some marshall stacks at full gain.

13. A 4x10 cab would be good...10's have great midrange and they cut through well.

14. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    well, not quite heavy metal, buy you know...

i threw a 4x10 into the mix and man they will get you heard.

I also use a spector 4 string (professional bolt), and i think in you situation you should do something along those lines. Get your rig setup, then start working on your bass.

lp

15. Try and find an 80's/early 90's BC Rich before they started using the sh**wood they have now. I have a 1984 NJ Warlock with some EMGs in it and it feels, sounds, and plays better than my fender deluxe MIM jazz bass. Depending on what kind of metal your playing the newer BC Riches are good for Pantera, and similar type bands.

16. For Metal I'd go with the Rex Brown (Pantera) Sig 5 string Spector Bass, but hey thats just me.

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what kind of metal are you playing, exactly?

18. I don't know... ...I totally cut 800Hz from my sound and I have no problems cutting through and I compete with an Ibanez Universe through a Peavey 5150 and a very loud metal drummer.

But I will agree that a nice big speaker (15 or even an 18) is the key to cutting through. You don't need to break the bank, a Peavey Black Widow loaded 1x15" or a Workingmans 1x15T will have plenty of bottom end and enough clarity.

Use the 2x10 for small gigs, quiet practices or recording and cart the big speaker along when you want to really shift some air.

19. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've always had good luck with 410's... I was never a really big fan of the 115 cabs. I did use a workingman 4004 for about a year, only upgraded to an Ampeg head because I got a great deal on it...

As far as basses go, I use a pretty standard fare. I have a couple of jazzes, a p bass, and a couple of 5's... nothing crazy, or too "metal" looking, but the get the job done well... If you are looking for a "metal" looking bass, then I would look at the Spector Rex Brown... it's a great solid bass with good sound and a cool look...

P@