1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard rock/Alt 90s guys, I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    So that is my genre ( AIC, Tool, Godsmack, RATM, Chevelle, etc., as well as more poppy 90s stuff like Tripping Daisy, Everclear, Local H, The Toadies, etc..

AND, I know I have asked a similar question in recent weeks, but I would prefer to ask guys who play in this genre and use Ampeg SVTs.

I have recently gotten to the point where I am about to pull the trigger on an all tube SVT and I will probably look on GC's used website first. I see they have several different models (VR, CL, etc.) available.

So what would you get and why, if you please?

By the way, I use a '74 4001 and a "Dark era" Ampeg 810cl.

Thanks

2. I am in the SAME situation as you right now. I play in a grunge/90s rock band and I am about to pull the trigger on an SVT II. Here is a tone that I would LOVE to achieve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH9SyQY564U

3. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX

JimmyM will likely have more useful input than me on this, but according to him the CL is just fine compared to the VR. A lot of people say the CL sounds squished or congested compared to the VR, but the solution to this is running the master volume on the CL to about 3 o clock and using the gain control to control volume to taste. If you don't want the big, clean sound you can tweak them back and forth to get grind or OD from the CL.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd be springing for a CL since they are cheaper and do just as well. Cranking out some Nirvana, Silverchair, and Smashing Pumpkins tunes on one of those would be a dream come true :bassist:

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Personally, I'd go for a used Aguilar DB750 instead. I play similarly to the Tool's and Rage's bass players (as far as their clean tone is concerned), and it gets me there in spades. It's also a great head to throw effects through. It'll save you some weight, and you don't have to worry as much about power tubes.

5. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I've played quite a bit of that stuff, so I came in to look.

So you're already set on an SVT then, just need to know which model? I'm not much help there.

I've used a Spector into an RBI into a poweramp. A bang for buck thing, there. (Got the RBI for only $100.). More recently a Carvin BX1500 for lots of fairly clean power & flexibility, and a VT Deluxe in front of it for the right color.

I have a Monique on the way to take over "color" duty, the VT will be demoted to a fancy part-time boost/dirt pedal.

I'll see for sure when she gets here, but I have a feeling I'd get the same setup again over an SVT. Not that I have anything against an SVT, I don't.

6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have owned early 70's SVT heads, SVT 4PRO, 2PRO, CL and 6PRO. To me the early 70's sounded the best.

The 4PRO and 2PRO seemed under powered and lacked clarity. The CL was much better.

I still own the 70's head but I primarily use a US Built 6PRO. Plenty of power and great tone.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have been using a 1000 watt power and an RBI for the last 2 years and I am not dissatisfied with it. I just have the cash now to buy "The amp" and I only plan on doing it once. I originally was thinking 1600 watt SLM SVT 4 Pro because my band is loud and I wasn't convinced that 300 watts would cut it ( even tube watts), but have recently come around to gassing for an all tube Ampeg. The choices really are a 2 Pro, CL or VR.

I am interested in hearing your attempts to change my mind though. Nothing is really set in stone, though Ampeg has the huge advantage in my mind.

8. +1 for the DB750 I'm in an original band but it is all about that tone with a bit more bite. The DB is indestructible it can get that thick warm tube tone plenty and it’s just a monster. It’s the only head I gig with and into a mesa 4/12 cab it’s everything.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I admit that Aggie looks awful nice. I generally like subtle grit as a base tone and then I add dirt via TAFM as needed.

10. You could always find a Peavey Classic 400. More beef.

11. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    I can't speak to it fully, because I haven't actually played my own big upgrade yet. But if asked today to dispense with a wad of cash and buy a complete bass head, I would look into a few options, and attempt to come up with a way to try them all.

1. Rackmount De-Monique. Or just Monique + poweramp of choice.

2. One of JGR's rock tube pres + poweramp of choice.

3. Baer Valkyrie, if available yet.

4. The current Peavey tube heads.

5. Yeah, I'd probably try an SVT CL or VR, too. It is a standard of sorts, after all.

I could probabaly come up with more to try, but definitely would be interested in those.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Have to pass on that one my friend. Did my time with Peavey's as a youngin and have no intention of going backwards.:)

13. makohund

makohund

Dec 12, 2002
    If it wasn't a Classic 400, I don't think it counts. I wouldn't call it a step back from an SVT, either. ;)

I'd put it on my list.

14. But have you tried the Classic 400? A unique beast.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

No, I haven't. Guess I should at least check it out.

16. SVT II SVT II SVT II :)

17. I have a Mark VIII XP. The 8 is probably more what you are used to. The Classic 400 tonally is very different, way warmer.

18. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd try both an Orange bass terror 500 and a Streamliner 900 before even considering an all tube head.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Great feedback, keep them coming guys.

20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Since many of these amps you guys are mentioning are hard/impossible to find for sale on-line, can you tell me if they are in the same ballpark budget wise as the $1000 used SVTs I'm looking at?