Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard Rock Comparisson...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Okay, I think I've made it pretty obvious that I am looking for a new bass, but am stuck in between a few models. Mainly the Sterling model from Ernie Ball Music Man, and the Corvette from Warwick.

I absolutely love the Warwick Corvette Standard to death. But, I am into Hard Rock (ie. Chevelle, Seether, Godsmack, Sevendust... Motorhead!, etc, etc.) so I tend to favor the humbucker pickups, as they produce a whopping "hold on to your ass!" kind of thump I love. So, I have been looking at Corvette FNA's for a while now, and the only thing that I don't like is that icky gold hardware. (any way I can replace it with black or chrome 'Wick parts???)

I haven't played a Sterling yet, but I'm sure I'll fall in love with it's tremendous bottom end, and thumping lows... I already am in love with its vicous good looks (lmao :D )

But, I'm not sure if I'll like the body shape, I know it has "belly and forearm" contours, but thats another "+" for the 'Wick.

My question to you is, which do you think will be better for the "Hard Rock" genre??? Which bass will give me that nasty low tone that every fan loves??? (also, should I go for the Stndrd 'Vette, or the FNA?)

I fully understand, I just need to play them both side by side and decide for myself, but I want a "prediction" from all you friendly guys out there.

Awaiting Answers,
    ~Ryan

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Warwick and distributors will sell you a new bridge, and probably tuners too, but for tuners you could always go aftermarket with something like Hipshot.

3. Ive actually known of the $$ (double buck) since before it came out, and I didn't even give it any thought in this scenario! lmao. I cannot believe I overlooked it. Methinks this would be a better choice than an FNA... But damn, it's a swamp ash body, and I love bubinga, and I'm sure a custom shop bubinga bodied model would be insanely expensive for an American to order.

Well, I think I'll have to hunt one of these bad boys down and give 'er a text run next to a Sterling :D . I think the $$ has a good chance of winning my affection!

~Ryan

4. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
  5. try an ibanez srx 505 or 705 if you like the humbucker option. I just got one and love it to death. I went from a MIM jazz to this and the ibanez is so much better in general, and if you look at the size of the pickups their massive and it is much lighter that my jazz.(the jazz has a 1/8 dimond plate pickguard) probably doesnt help much.

6. I have played an SRX model Ibanez, I liked it somewhat. I found that it had a limited tone (IMO) I've gotten a better tone from the Corvette Standard I played. I may have to give the SRX another go, maybe the batteries were slipping. BTW, I would go for the 500 or the 700, the five-string necks are way too thick for me, and yes, I'm referring to the SRX(SDGR) necks!

Right now, this is what's in my list to test...

EBMM-Sterling, EBMM-Sting Ray, Tribute by G&L-L2000, Ibanez-SRX500/700, Warwick-Corvette $$(Double Buck)

That's all I can think of for the "good" humbucking p'up basses. I might hold out long enough until NAMM, so I can maybe perhaps take an HH Sterling out for a test run at Bass Central... Who knows???

Still looking away,
    ~Ryan.

7. yeah, it looks like that double buck fits the ticket perfectly