Hard Rock Covers

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Schwinn, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Ok, sort of an inspiration from Finger Blister's thread, but I've noticed that this hasn't really been covered yet.

What hard rock covers do you think a good band of this genre should learn. Let's make a list.

I'm NOT talking about Brick House, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, or any of that stuff bar bands always do and that audiences should be sick of.

Here are some of the things I'd like to do:

Led Zeppelin: massive appeal and very good stuff - I love JPJ. What LZ songs do you think should be on the list?

Metallica: again, should go over well with hard rock audiences. Master of Puppets, One, Seek and Destroy, For whom the bell tolls, Wherever I may roam. (No Enter Sandman!!)

Rage Against the Machine: Their stuff always goes over well IME. What songs?

AC/DC: I think Whole lotta Rosie or Dirty Deeds would be cool.

G'N'R: Nighttrain. You're Crazy.

Tool: Can't think of anysongs right now.

Rush: ?

Aerosmith: Sweet Emotion, Dream On
  2. we do Killing on the name, bombtrack, bullet in the head, know your enemy.
  3. Wildside

Jan 12, 2004
    theater of pain
    Skid Row- Youth Gone Wild
    Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood
    Ozzy - Bark at the Moon
    Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
    Van Halen - Panama
    Ratt- Round and Round
    Deep Purple - Highway Star
    Dio- Rainbow in the Dark
    Alice Cooper - House of Fire

these are a few off the top of my head, if you want more just pm me
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

for TOOL Sober is a good and easy one. My band does that and Stinkfist.
  5. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    This is the kind of stuff I play and all of the below are exceptional metal/hard rock songs to listen to and play.

Rage songs - Take the power back, Wake up, bombtrack

Audioslave - what you are, We got the better bomb

Soundgarden - Blow up the outside world, the day i tried to live

Metallica - Enter sandman, sad but true

There's a start, all songs tried and tested by me and my band
  6. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    oh, i just read, no enter sandman. Probably because it's overplayed and has a hideously monotonous bassline.
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Communication Breakdown, Heartbreaker, Livin' Lovin Maid, Rock N' Roll.

Anything off of Kill Em All or Ride the Lightning (I'm an old school guy): Am I Evil, Whiplash, Blitzkrieg, 4 Horsemen, Creeping Death, Fade to Black, etc. I'd go nuts if anyone played Last Caress or the Small Hours off of Garage Days (I know they are covers)

TNT is a nice one the crowd can get into. Long Way to the Top (If you wanna Rock n Roll), Shoot to Thrill, Night Prowler, Big Balls, For Those About to Rock

Nighttrain is one of my favorites. Paradise City has a nice jam at the end. My Michelle, One in a Million, and Rocket Queen are cool too

Be prepared to practice if you want to do their tunes. YYZ, Closer to the Heart, Tom Sawyer, Spirit of Radio, Villa la Strangiato, Limelight

Train Kept a Rollin, Big Ten Inch (covers too), Draw the Line, Mama Kin, Last Child, Dude Looks Like a Lady
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My band does The Ocean, Immigrant Song, and Black Dog. The Ocean and Immigrant Song go over extremely well. Black Dog doesn't get the same response, but we usually open a set with it so it might jsut be because the crowd isn't into it yet.

Some other ones that I've seen other bands do that went over well are Over The Hills, D'yer Mak'er, Whole lotta love, heartbreaker, livin lovin maid, rock n roll, among others.
    If you've got keys in your band Fool In The Rain is a must.

Sweet emotion used to close our first set. It has a great riff and you can jam on the end. People love it.
  9. AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Judas Priest - Breaking The Law
    Deep Purple - Black Night

Basically anything with a catchy, well known guitar riff. A shout-along chorus is always a good thing too (Breaking The Law is a prime example)

And of course there is always PARANOID!
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    You guys rule!!

I'm trying to get ideas together for a band I might be starting with a guitar player I met recently.

I couldn't think of too many songs right of the bat, but now we've got a good list together. Here's a new list incorporating suggestions that I liked:

Led Zeppelin: Communication Breakdown, Immigrant Song, Ramble on, Rock n Roll.

Metallica: Master of Puppets, One, Seek and Destroy, For whom the bell tolls, wherever I may roam, Sad but True.

AC/DC: Whole lotta rosie, Dirty Deeds, TNT, shoot to trill, You shook me all Night

G'N'R: Nighttrain, You're Crazy, Paradise City

Rush: YYZ (if I can actually play, Jive1 makes a good point)

Aerosmith: Sweet Emotion, Last Child, Dude Looks Like a Lady

Black Sabbath: Paranoid

Ozzy: Bark at the Moon, No More Tears

Audioslave: What you are, We got the better bomb

Soundgarden: Blow up the outside world, the day I tried to live

Tool: Sober

Rage ATM: Killing in the Name of, Take the power back, Bombtrack, Wake up, Bullet in the head

Van Halen: Panama
  11. Isamu

Aug 5, 2003
    I'm going to second Closer to the Heart by RUSH. Fun song to play, people recognize it(I would think?), and it sounds good. Might be hard to sing though heh.
  12. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm going to add

Iron Maiden: Hallowed be thy name

Stevie Ray: Pride and Joy
  13. How bout some ****in Iron Maiden.

Hallowed be ty name, Revelations, be quick or be dead, aces high, the trooper.

In Flames- Only for the weak, Episode 666

Dark Tranquillity-Punish my heaven

Anthrax-Got the time, I am the law, Indians.
  14. An easy Rush tune is "Working Man" off their first album.
  15. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The band I just started with is considering, or have suggested at one point or another:

AC/DC - The Jack, You Shook Me All Night Long (even girls lip-synch the words on this one)
    Judas Priest - Parental Guidance
    Motley Crue - Smoking in the Boy's Room
    Alice in Chains - No Excuses, Sea of Sorrow
    Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone (but you need REALLY good vocals for this...)
  16. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    A couple Maiden tunes would be very cool, you had some good ones there...Anthrax would be ok too. I don't know if many would recognize DT or inflames... two of my favorite bands though. :bassist: I don't know where we're going to find a singer that can do all these bands...
  17. Currently play:

N.I.B., Paranoid, War Pigs - Sabbath
    I Don't Know, Mr. Crowley - Ozzy
    Shapes Of Things - Gary Moore
    Comfortably Numb - Floyd
    Perfect Strangers - Deep Purple

Others I have played in past bands that are fun:

Hallowed Be Thy Name, Trooper, Flight Of Icarus, Number OF The Beast, Wrathchild, Killers, To Tame A Land, 22 Acacia Avenue, Stranger In A Strange Land, Two Minutes To Midnite, Run To The Hills - Maiden

Green Manolishi, Breaking The Law, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods, You've Got Another Thing Coming - Preist

Crazy Train, Believer, Revelations Mother Earth, Suicide Solution, Crazy Babies - Ozzy

Highway Star, Hush - Deep Purple

Whole Lotta Rosie, TNT, Highway To Hell, Hells Bells - AC/DC

And some assorted Whitesnake, Winger, Dokken, Tesla, Motley Crue, Queensryche, Zeppelin

What do you want ?, I was born in the 60's and grew up on 70's and 80's hair bands :bassist:
  18. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I dig your choices completely. I'm going more for the classic hard rock stuff anyway. I think modern popular rock is basically crap, with a few exceptions.
  19. Yeah thats probably true :meh:

Plus it would be a real bitch to try and learn punish my heaven by DT and them to play it in time together. Al those darn harmonies makes it dificult to play together. Drums and bassparts ar not so easy to.

Got some ideas while looking at my cd rack.

Dio-Holy Diver
    Blind Guardian. Althou pretty unknown to the general puplic this band is very well known in the metal community. However it wont be easy to sing.

Helloween-Iwant out, dr. Stein, Eagle fly free(bass solo for you!!), If I coul fly. :bassist:
  20. Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    Depending on who your audience is i would vary between songs from Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, SOAD, Iron Maiden, etc.