Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hard rock/metal albums with a creative bassist AND a good singer . . . do they exist?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew T., Jan 19, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I'm feeling old and stodgy and want to liven up my musical existence with a little metal.

Problem: all of the bands I find with good bassists have some garbled screaming and/or heavy-breathing lead howler which makes the music hard for me to listen to.

I like stuff like old Metallica, Rush (not metal, I know), Living Colour, and King's X. Mudvayne and Dillinger Escape Plan are interesting musically but their singers leave me cold. Extol is incredible. The singing is tolerable. Suggestions for an aging fart?

2. With the list of stuff you are into, how come no Iron Maiden??

Also (more prog than metal) but check out:

Dream Theater
    Fates Warning

3. Check out: Opeth

They have been my favorite band since I first heard them about 3 years ago.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Forget ones with both a creative bass player and a good singer, are there any with *either* a good singer or a creative bass player? :D j/k

5. Where's SMASH, he'll give you more than enough suggestions...

Until he arrives, I recommend Cave In. Their Jupiter album is a very good place to start, though the Tides Of Tomorrow EP maybe has better basslines, and is probably cheaper.

Go get some!:D

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

What about Primus or any of Les Claypool's other bands? Also check out Rage Against the Machine. That is rap-metal or nu-metal, so they may not be to your liking, but the bass is definitely interesting.
    Keep in mind, that RATM has had two singers, most recently Chris Cornell, formerly of Sound Garden. Each singer has his own distinctive voice, so even if you don't like the one, you may like the other.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What about Led Zeppelin?

8. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I love Zeppelin, but consider them to be more classic rock. I have a couple of Rage albums which I like very much. There's an Iron Maiden album around my house somewhere. I like 'em fine. Primus was one of my favorite bands, until I got tired of hearing Claypool string two one-bar riffs together and call them a song. At least that was the case on most of Sailing the Seas of Cheese, Suck on This, and the Sausage album.

I downloaded a Fates Warning mp3 from Amazon. Haven't had time to hear more than the first 30 seconds, but it sounds good. Best Buy probably has some of their albums.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Heavy is good.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd suggest Fear Factory. They are heavy as hell, while Burton Bell does yelp/growl a bit, he spends a great deal of time actually singing.

10. Since my initial post was late last night, I've had a chance to try a few more.

Amorphis

(I only own their album Tuonela which was released I think in '99. Anyhow, this one is always in my cd player. Great songs, heavy and melodic and the singer uses a couple different styles on the album. Check out the song "The Way".)

Oh, and Boplicity mentioned Rage Against The Machine with new singer Chris Cornell. They are actually going by a new name now called Audioslave. I haven't heard the whole album yet, but Cornell has never let me down as far as vocals go. My band just started covering the tune "Show Me How To Live" for kicks. Crowds dig it.

Seriously though, it may not be metal, but Chris Cornells original band, Soundgarden, was pretty damn awesome in their early days. "Badmotorfinger" is a must own album IMO. "Ultramega OK" is also a good one.

Ohter great metal/heavy bands I dig: Corrosion of Conformity, Ministry, Deftones, Nothingface, Anthrax, Faith No More, Fear Factory(mentioned above), Pantera, Bonescrew(local Boston band), Spineshank, etc...

11. Don't know which song(s) you downloaded but,........

The earlier stuff is heavier, the newer stuff (while still heavy) is towards the prog end of the spectrum.

Suggestions on earlier stuff to purchase would be: Spectre Within, and No Exit.

12. I dont listen to a whole lot of metal but I really like System Of A Down's first album. There bass player isnt fantastic or anything but he has his moments, and i really like their singer (and drummer, but thats another post). I didnt like there other albums much, though.

13. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    The Fates Warning song I downloaded was "We Only Say Goodbye," which I assume was recorded about the same time they did the Disconnected album. I love a good riff.

14. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    We Only Say Goodbye is of Parallels.

Their two bassists are pretty creative, their first definitely has a steve harris vibe to his playing except more technical. Joey Vera has a lot more funk and Geddy Lee in him, and that shows up a bit in A Pleasant Shade of Gray. Disconnected is awesome too. :cool:

15. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    in my opinion tool has an awesome singer and creative bass player.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

hmmmm I wouldn't say "Good" singer.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I'm sorry but Led Zeppelin are way overrated. I always see them topping the "greatest heavy metal albums of all time..." whatevers. OK, I get it... they did something that was new and creative. They were "hard rock" at there hardest. IMO the first "metal" band to really make it was Black Sabbath. But I don't know "older" music that well seeing as I wasn't around to experience it. And I think that's the only true way to know music. Plus Plants vocals can be a bit much sometimes... along with Jimmy Page's... everything. But you can't go wrong with JPJ. ;)

18. randomname

randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    Another vote for Opeth, though the vocalist swaps between proper singing and a more traditional death metal style, which you may not be keen on.

Also try and hear Down II - there's no one finer in rock/metal than St Anselmo and the bass on that album is surprisingly good. Think a cross between sludgy doom metal and Alman Brothers style Southern rock. It's amazing.

19. randomname

randomname

Aug 12, 2002
    oh, and DEFINATELY check out Audioslave

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - talk about indecisive - you start off by saying one thing and change it in each following sentence!! ;)

I can tell you that having seen Led Zeppelin at Wembley in 1974 with John Bonham - they are way under-rated by everyone!!

Most exciting live gig I can possibly imagine!!