Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard Rock/Metal bassists that use chords

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Mar 15, 2002.

1. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    i just got into chords recently and i wanna know which metal/hardrock bassits uses them.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Billy sheehan does for sure, but I guess in most bands there's just not enough room in the band sound for that - you can hardly even hear the bass with most bands.

3. :mad: So true :mad:

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    :cough METALLICA cough cough:
    Well, if you CAN hear it, Jason Newstead uses a few on ReLoad, but its nothing special.

5. Ryknow of Mudvayne and Jason Newsted, ex-Metallica. This is to name a few...of the few....:rolleyes: :D

6. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Lemmy, Motorhead.

Pete Steele, Type O Negative.

Mostly root/fifth power chord type stuff, but I believe Steele does thirds and such on occasion.

7. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    chords rule dood
    check out um cliff.. from metallica..
    check out iron maiden tooo dood..
    steve harris does a little bitty bass solo on the song "iron maidne" and its got chords..its major fast too.. and not too hard...
    learn pulling teeth its got some chords in it

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

i've seen type o live several times and peter steele plays all sorts of weird chords. and then you ask him about it after the show and he just looks at you like your an idiot. i don't know why, but he _acts_ like he hates commenting on anything about his playing. strange guy, but his chops are evident. he actually can play....and yeah, ryknow from mudvayne---another awesome bassist. who is also sort of an enigma. let's not forget john entwistle.

9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    i am normally not into mudvayne and that whole genre.... but i went to the marry mayhem tour, and mudvayne opened.

ryknow is about one of the quirkiest guys out there. he'll go from slamming his fists on his neck to playing chords... and the weirdest part- it sounds good.

this guy is someone to watch. i think the whole band has talent, but i think they need to mellow out a bit. get the guitar up higher so the bass can be heard. IMO

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    steve digiorgio

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    John Myung uses a decent amount of chording (both tapped and strummed) in Dream Theater's work.

12. I'm not sure how "hard" these are as "rock" groups in your opinions, but THe guy from Tool and Timmy C of rage against the machine, have been known, on occassion to dable in 5ths, 3rds etc

sim

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Rob Grange was known to do some chording in the tail end of The Amboy Dukes, before Ted Nugent put his name up front.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I love ToN, but I can never heard anything that Peter's playing. It all sounds buried so deeply under the guitars. Maybe his playing was more evident back in his Carnivore days?

The little groove he does in "Everything Dies" is great though.

15. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    They are very hard to hear, but Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse throws in a few chords on occasion - root-b3 and root-b5 type of thing.

16. what neptoon said about how Steele reacted to him asking about his playing.from what i heard and the one time i talked to him he hates stupid ? like he all so hates beeing asked the same thing over and over .if you like make your self seem smart when talking to him and not act liek a fan asking the same dumbh ? hes a really nice guy

17. Paul D'Amour and Justin Chancellor of Tool.