Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hard rock/metal = Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by *Munkeh*, Mar 10, 2006.

1. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Does anyone know any rock/nu-metal/metal bass players that play passive Fender Jazz basses? :meh:

Always been curious to know if a Fender Jazz actually fits metal/rock/nu-metal playing!

2. Yes Me!!!

Not so much a metal band, but we have a track with a Doom metal section. To record it i used a MIM Fender Jazz V, going through in this order Boss Guitar Distortion >> Big Muff >> ODB-3 >> Marshall compressor >> Hartke bass attack. Yes thats 3 distortion/overdrives at once

Sounds awesome

3. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    but if you actually play the bass without all these distortion, does your passive fender cut through all the heavy guitar playing? (that's if your guitarist(s) plays like a heavy metal style)

4. Well yeah, only when i play with a pick though, as the attack of the pick cuts through. Its all a matter of EQ and Amp volume. When i use my Fender in the band i almost always run it through my Hartke pedal, affectively turning into an active bass but i still feel it retains the passive tone of a jazz bass. Though if i was to start a metal a band id reach for me Spector and see how that goes then try the fender and see which i prefer!!

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I remember seeing Judas Priest in the early 80's and Ian Hill used an early 70's jazz the whole night

Rob

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Jason Newsted (Ex-´Tallica) played live with a lot of Sadowsky Jazz basses, 4 and 5 stringers.

Also, Frankie Bello (Anthrax, Helmet) uses an Aerodine Jazz, and his own Fender "Bass" model. Although he´s known as a P-bass player.

7. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    Of course man. A drop tuned jazz bass sounds like a dream. or just for punk and rock and emo, they sounds great. Dillenger escape plan, Beloved, deadpoetic,norma jean, as cities burn, uses a jazz bass, and they sound great. I don't know why, but jazzes arent the most popular for metal. I use my jazz in my punk band, worship band, and hardcore/ metal band.

8. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    Ah but Jason used ACTIVE J-basses no?

9. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    AFI

10. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    John Myung had a bright orange jazz bass back in the day, although most videos of that era have him playing a Stingray.

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I play in a hard-rock band, and my Jazz cuts through just wonderfully.

12. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Timmy C from Rage Against the Machine plays passive Fender Jazz Basses.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

I can't speak for in a band situation, but for my own doodling around I love my jazz, and I (try) to play metal/hard rock.

And John Myung used the Fender J-bass in the Majesty days, by the days of WDADU he moved on to the Stingray, and by I&W it was the Spector, adn by the I&W tour it was various 6'ers.

oh, and Martin Mendez from Opeth uses a Marcus Miller jazz bass, it has passive/active switch.

And cliff burton had a jazz bridge pup in his rickenbacker, but that's a different beast alltogether.

14. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    Martin Mendez of Opeth plays a Fender Jazz (at least on the two occations I've seen them live), don't know if it's an active or a passive JB though.

EDIT: Ah, steve21 beat me to it. Active/Passive it is then.

15. I haven't seen too many metal players using a Jazz in comparison to other basses (I see alot more P's used). The players that do immediately come to my mind would be John Aldrete (formerly of Racer X & the Scream - currently w/the Mars Volta) and Eerie Von (Danzig). Aldrete played Jazzes for most of his career and is currently playing Precisions. Being really influenced by him, I played a Squier Jazz for the better part of the 90's. Imo they're one of the best 4 strings ever for metal/hard rock(or any other style for that matter). mmmm...growl.