Hard Shell Case or Gig Bag??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DBeall, Jun 15, 2002.

1. DBeall

May 10, 2002
    Vancouver, Wa
    Do you guys prefer hardshell cases or gig bags?

Or does it depends on the bass your traveling with?

Anyone have any damage occur on a bass traveling in a gig bag?

Are hard shells worth the extra money?
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Personally, I like the hard shells. Gig bags are OK, but I just like knowing that my baby is nice and safe :D . As far as being worth the extra $$$, I would say they are. GC usually has a good amount of used hard shells in stock, too.
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Hard shell all the way! Gig bags can protect against scratches, but that's about it. ANYTHING THAT CAN HAPPEN, WILL. Be prepaired for it.
    fender jazx likes this.
  4. I keep my basses in their cases when I'm not using them, but for practice or whatever, I use the gig bag. It's lighter and easier to get in and out of the back seat of my car. I just have the one gig bag, and alternate whichever bass I'm using that night.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to prefer hard shells, but I have a small house, and I hate having 8 hardshell cases lying around. I also hate having to lug 2+ big hardshell cases to every gig.

I have been using gig bags the last 3 months, and as soon as I get some spare change I am getting a double gig bag so that I only have to carry 1 bag to most of my gigs.

And top quality gig bags protect your bass just as good as a hardshell case.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Depends on the situation. Typically, I carry my basses in gig bags - Undercover double for the BG's, and Undercover custom for the NS Design EUB.

But, if I'm shipping my babies (they won't let ya carry 'em on anymore :( ), they have nice heavy-duty flight cases (7-ply void-free birch plywood, 2 layers of fiberglass, bullet-proof hardware) they get to travel in. Once I get to where I'm goin', they go back in the bags for to-and-fro stuff until they get in the belly of the plane again.

What it boils down to is: Who's carrying 'em? If it's me, bags; if it's not me, 40lbs of fiberglass & plywood. Let the monkey's try to mess 'em up in there...:p
  7. Like most of the posts so far, I like hardshells for their protective values and gigbags for their portability. It's a "horses for courses" thing. However, my choices are limited.

:D My MIA J V came with a great Fender hardshell, and fits two of my gigbags.

:( My EB-0 doesn't fit any hardshell case other than a factory original (which didn't come with it 28 years ago) because of the slotted headstock. There was a rare EB-0 hardshell case on ebay just this week, but my membership didn't come thru until it was already gone...so the gigbag will have to suffice.

:) George Furlanetto doesn't do hardcases for F-Basses, but does a wicked logoed custom F-bag from Levy, so again little choice.

:cool: One neat fact - my '85 fretless 4-string has a cream-coloured gig-bag hand-made by George's mom!!! (It looks like she used the sofa slipcovers for part of the lining!!!!)

:( I'd like to have hardshells to keep both the fretless 4 and fretted 6 F-basses in for protection - anyone know any custom case makers?
  8. hardshell only ! no matter if i have to walk 5 miles with it.
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I prefer a hard shell case. They offer much more protection than a gig bag ever can.
  10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hard shell case all the way!

I own a gig bag which I got with my first bass, but I never use it.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Most of my basses are in chipboard cases, though I plan on converting them all to hardshell eventually.

There's just something about opening up a hardshell case and seeing your bass laying in it. It just looks "classy" I guess.

One of my guitars is in a gig bag I bought used for 10 or 15 bucks. (And it's been an excellent gig bag)

Has anyone ever seen on of those Soft/Hard cases? They are like a gig bag and a hardshell case put together.
  12. I used to be a hard shell case user exclusively.

When I bought one of my Laklands it not only came with the original hardshell case, but with a gig bag as well. For about six months that gig bag just sat in the corner and was never used. I then read some sterling endorsements, here on TB, about the UnderCover gig bags. Not knowing what kind of gig bag I had, I decided to check and, as it turned out, it was an UnderCover gig bag. I took a closer look at the thing and realized it offered as just about as much protection as a hardshell case and was a lot more portable.

I use two Lakland basses for gigs-- one fretted and one fretless. I started to bring one of the bass in the gig bag and the other one in a it's original hardshell case. I wanted to make sure the gig bag held up to the endorsements I read here... it did. I've since bought a UnderCover double gig bag and use both bags exclusively-- double gigbag for gigs where I'm bringing both basses and the single gig bag for when I bring one of the basses to practice. The hardshell cases are now in storage up in the attic.

I haven't had any road trips since, where I've had to fly but, if I did, I would seriously think of taking the hardshell cases out of retirement. I do think, overall, they offer a little more peace of mind but, for portability and protection, I don't think you can beat the gig bags.;)
  13. Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002

i hate traveling with my sweet babies... once 3 drunked russians fell on my warwick in gigbag in undergroung.. hey I almost killed them on that place...

well.. i am travelling a lot ... for longer ways i use hard casses.. if i go from 1 rehearseal space to another then i take a gigbag but i am very very carefull...

i saw a gigbags for 2 basses.. that`s what I want to buy as soon as it will be possible... they rocks.. and u don`t have to carry 2 bags
  14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i use my SKB hardshell case if i'm flying [only take 1 bass]. Right now, my 5 string [pilot] is using the SKB as it's home while the fender is using a fender tweed case as it's home & i got a knock off of a fender black tolex case. Then i got 1 gig bag that i don't use much if at all. I do a bunch of school bands and you never know when some idiot will just sit it somewhere it can be hurt. thats all
  15. I got a really nice soft-sided case when I bought my Alembic several years ago, made by a company called Pro-Tec. I recently took the Alembic to a guitar show to see if I could sell it; got zero offers for the Alembic, but about five offers for the case.
  16. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002

I usually carry only one bass to rehersals, and I usually don't drive. In these cases the gig bag (heavily padded, of course), definitly is my choice. But whenever I do gigs that mean that anyone else but myself handles my basses, I definitely go for hardshell.
    When travelling/touring there is no contest; hardshell is the only way to go IMHO.
  17. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i use both depending on the situation. i have been using my gig bag more recently - but i'm very careful about how i carry it and where i set my bass down.

a few years back, i was carrying a bass in a gig back and the strap broke. my bass dropped right on a sidewalk leaving a little scar.:mad:
  18. Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    hard shell......................sure
    my bass fells protected :D
  19. I would never trust a gig bag to protect an instrument. Hardshell cases all the way. Wish I could afford flight cases for everything.
  20. Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Does anyone make hard cases that hold 2 basses?

I've seen trumpet cases that hold up to 4 trumpets. Of course, bass guitar is shaped a little bit differently, but I can envision a dual-bass case where each side of the case opens and the basses are basically stored back to back. Do these exist? :)

On another note, I carried one of my trumpets in a gig bag for a long time and never had any problems with instrument damage. I agree with some of the others on this post who say that it depends on who is carrying the instrument. If it's me, and I have control of the thing at all times, then a gig bag is fine. If anyone that I don't know personally has control over the instrument/gig bag, I'd rather have it in a hard-shell.