Hard Songs!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wutangkillaflea, Jul 18, 2001.

1. wutangkillaflea

Jul 10, 2001
    Does anyone know some difficult punk/rock songs for the bass!!!! I am in a band and everything is SO easy and I am looking for a song to play that is actually difficult! Please post a message, thanks for you time.
  2. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    umm, i find that most punk/ rock songs are all fairly easy but some likee "flossing a dead horse" by NOFX is pretty nice and fun to learn, or its not really punk but more ska but "dont speak" by NO DOUBT is fun. hope this helps, tell me if these songs work for you man, well see ya
  3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Maybe you should try out some Rancid basslines. Matt Freeman is (IMO) one of the best punk bassists ever, and he surely doesn't f**k around when he lays down a line ;).

I'll bet the "Maxwell Mureder" solo will keep you occupied for a good amount of time :D. Just a suggestion...

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm not sure if you 'know' punk rock to say that. Punk rock actually contains some of the fastest and most intricate basslines that you'll find. Maybe you're not hearing 'real' punk rock.

5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    how about carousel by blink 182, or some Rancid songs. Matt Freeman is an excellent bass player. Those songs are pretty fun to play. Good luck.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    As you people know, I am a huge GWAR fan, so let me be the one to suggest you take a look at their catalog of songs. They were influenced by punk in their earlier days and have recently tried to get back in touch with their roots. Check out: Hell-o, Scumdogs of the Universe and America Must Be Destroyed.
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Less Than Jake basslines are pretty cool
  8. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    As the guys before me said: check out RANCID´s songs if you want some "hard" punk basslines, forget about blink or that crap.....also you should listen to Green Day, you may find a couple of things to learn....
  9. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´ve to admit it, I´ve never heard blink´s old records, but I rather keep on Rancid.

Have fun
  10. "detroit" by rancid!!!

hee hee hee hee

just don't commit suicide in frustration, please. it's not worth it!

some other good rancid tunes:
    journey to the end of east bay
    roots radicals
    olympia WA
    old friend
    blackhawk down
  11. toycopbassist

Aug 12, 2000
    try some pennywise stuff like "fight till you die" i mean it looks simple untill you try to play it up to speed. i just suggest looking at some pennywise cuz its fast and fun.
  12. Operation Ivy!

not quite as crazy as some of Matt's Rancid stuff, but a lot of cool ska-type fun stuff

btw, i just learn the solo at the beginning of "The Crowd" F***in A!!
  13. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    anything by catch22 especially walking away and keasby nights

and of course rancid
  14. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    You may want to listen to ALL or the Descendants. Karl Alvarez is an amazing bass player.
  15. the intro to blink 182's 'man overboard' is fun and a bit difficult if you dont cheat and play it all on the g-string.

also, '1998' by rancid has AWESOME bass.

H2O's song 'faster than the world' sounds like it's quite difficult from what i can tell, but i dont exactly have the keenest ear ever.

if you dont feel like staying on strictly punk terms, you could take a look at battlestar scralatchtica by incubus. it's a WAY fun song to learn and takes some time. on a sidenote, people (not bassists, but other friends) will think you're way good once you get battlestar down cuz it sounds difficult but really isnt once you get the hang of it.

but if incubus isnt your cup of tea, im all for rancid, nofx (particularly 'bath of least resistance'), pennywise, and othersuch artists.
  16. I say learn "carousel" by blink. I dont think it's their best song, but its definatly is their best song as far as Mark's playing goes. I like the Cheshire Cat version alot better than the Buddha version though. Another song to learn is "Totalimmortal" by AFI, or heck anything by AFI for that matter. "I Choose" by The offspring is a great one too.
  17. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Green Day (are they still considered a punk band?) has some sweet lines. Dookie is full of 'em. Longview of course, Basketcase. And some stuff off their, thought not terribly complicated, is just cool (ala She and When I Come Around). So you could check them out. Even though everyone else said Rancid... yeah, check Rancid out, the guy is insane.
  18. KillsOn4String

Jul 11, 2001
    I think u should try some tool if u haven't already. The bass player has very fast and confusing bass lines. Not to mention most of thier songs are kinda long.
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Dead End Job" by the Police. Pretty damn tough, IMO.
  20. Did you figure that out yourself? All I can get is that the guitar seems to be playing a lot of G#. And theres a line thats on the D string and it goes G# F# F E. Thats all I can get. Any suggestions?