hard time practicing at home

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by smitcat, Oct 23, 2004.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    Ok, i have really been getting into practicing lately, and furthering my knowledge of music. It is having great benefits so far, but i have one problem, I can't seem to stay focused when im practicing at home. I know why.... i get distracted. I currently live at home, as im saving up to move soon. So of course, i have all my stuff in my room... tv, cpu, etc... Visually, there is too much to distract me. My band rents practice space, and i know i should go out there. I am going to start, but when it starts to snow, i won't be able to as much.
    Currently I am practicing while i work. I have a few jobs, and one of them is the night shift of a parking lot. I have certain periods of downtime, and so i take my crappy bass (small small space and nice basses don't mix well) and my pandora pxr4 up there. I get a lot of practice in, and i can really focus. but as mentioned in the beginning, i need to practice at home as well.
    So after all that, Do any of you have suggestions?
  2. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

Same here and I do find myself being distracted from "serious" practice. Sounds like your in a challenging position, just stick with it and practice whenever you have the opportunity. Getting out of the house is prolly the best bet, but I feel ya, winter is right around the corner....

I tend to just pick up my bass and "noodle" on it no matter what Im doing... watching T.V., posting messages, etc....
  3. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    Yeah, I mean, that's kind of obvious.

But any practice is good practice. I'll noodle on my bass while watching tv too, just run your scales or run some finger excersises. Some guys on here even play while in the bathroom! There's also mental practice, visualizing the fretboard, scales and songs your band plays. I do this a lot when I'm driving or very bored, like at work.
  4. Yeah, play your bass while watching TV or using the computer. Works for me. Also learn to enjoy practicing a lot. I usually only get about 2 hours of practicing each day, but I'd love to practice a whole lot more.
  5. +1
    Sounds simple but yet effective
    You have to get past that 10min barrier then suddenly youré mind is in focus
    Does anybody know what I'm talking about? :meh:
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is where a normal person would place a +1, but I, being a hater of said term will just reply, "I concur." :cool:
  7. Geo313

Jul 17, 2004
    At least for me, changing the environment works... I never played in the bathroom (maybe in the bassroom?) but a lot of times I just walk around the apartment and stop wherever "something" (this is just a matter of mind sensing/focussing) makes me stop. I have an acoustic-electric bass so I don't need an amp. Sometimes I find myself practicing a lot more than just 10 minutes. Hope it helps, it works for me.
  8. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I know ive just got to suck it up and try to focus on it more. I guess basically the way i feel is that i retain information better everywhere else but here. I get through about a half hour and take a little break, and repeat. I just needed that "slap in the face" from someone to get back on track.
    Ive thought about just gutting my room, and taking out a lot of the unnecessary crap that is in here, and either selling it, or packing it early for the move. Im looking forward to getting out so that i can actually have a real place, rather then having all of my stuff in one room. Thanks guys.
    -p.s. I didn't mean that slap in the face thing in a bad way. ( i didnt want anyone to think that i thought people were attacking me in any way)
  9. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    I wouldn't go to the extreme of selling everything. And packing everything up early isn't a bad idea, but then you'll unpack it all in your new place and have the same problem again.

I moved back in with my folks after 5 years of my own place so I can relate to what your saying. ALL of my stuff is in my room and it's a lot of distractions. Television, Playstation2, Computer, my classical guitar, model cars to build, drawing, etc. And I'm not allowed to play through my tiny practice amp because they say it's still too loud. And I hate headphones. So I just slap a lot, so I can actually hear what I'm playing.

I've read somewhere that if you love to practice, then you love the instrument. But if yo hate to practice, maybe you should try something else. Not saying that's what you should do.

Hope you find something that's works for you. :)
  10. I would make sure to avoid watching TV while practicing. I always have the computer on while practicing, and frequently I actually use it to help me practice (using an online metronome, or playing with drum loops, etc). I've heard that if you practice while watching TV, you're just sabotaging yourself, because you aren't going to absorb what you want to learn at the same rate that you would without TV.
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I often practice while I'm roaming around online. Also, since my PC is what I record on, it's always on anyway when I'm playing, so I can record in a jiffy when inspiration suddenly strikes.
  12. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    If you're online or watching the tv, if anything you're familiarizing yourself with the fretboard while playing your bass. A little practice is better than no practice.
  13. Take the sheet off your bed and throw it over the distractions so you won't have to look at them and be distracted.