1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard Times Lead to Tough Bass Decisions. "Long Story"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    *edited version*
    So VERY long story short, I've always had and enjoyed active basses. I tried out my wife's passive Squier and I really liked it. My wife got tired of me playing her bass so I went to buy one of my own. While at the music shop I fell in love with a Geddy Lee filled with mojo. Because of my recent wedding we're pretty well broke so buying the bass is out of the question, my only option is to trade most of my rarely used gear. Even if I trade in most of it I'm still $315 short. So now I'm thinking of throwing a few of my rare effect pedals into the equation.
    "Condensed by Herrlster"

I never thought that I would be this fixated on what boils down to be a Japanese made Fender Jazz Bass. I've considered calling around to more guitar stores to see if they have the "Geddy Lee" jazz bass in stock, but then I'm just spending money on gas just to try out basses to see if they have the same "mojo." As it is I'm looking at having to trade 3 basses, 1 acoustic guitar, & a rare effect pedal for one Japanese made bass.

So.......how much gear would you be willing to trade in order to get your hands on one of the best "mojo" basses that you've ever played?

2. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    So VERY long story short you've always had and enjoyed active basses. You tried out your wife's passive Squier and really liked it. Your wife got tired of you playing her bass so you went to buy your own. While at the music shop you fell in love with a Geddy Lee filled with mojo. Because of your recent wedding you're pretty well broke so buying the bass is out of the question, you're only option is to sell/trade some of your rarely used gear. If you trade in some of your lower end gear you're still $315 short. So now you're thinking of throwing a few of your effects pedals into the equation.

I say since you're struggling financially that you worry about your bills and such first. Get those all stable before you worry about buying another bass, especially since you already have 10 of them.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Nice emo and veiled FS thread.

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks for condensing that down for me.
    I was a little "drunk" last night and I don't remember writing THAT much.
    Anyway, as I said before in my original post, I'm quite aware of how lucky I am to even have ten basses at all and that my problem is very petty.

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I find that forcing myself to sacrifice another bass to buy another keeps me more honest.

10 basses is a lot as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you're having financial struggles. What's worse... not having the Geddy, or having to sell everything because of, or to avoid bankruptcy????

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    There is like a used Geddy on Guitar Centers used site for 425-450 weekly.

Go used.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    You usually get way less on trade-in value than you would for selling outright privately. Especially if you can't really afford something, it's best to be patient and get the most for your gear.

8. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    It's not that I just want a "Geddy Lee" I want THAT "Geddy Lee."
    I went to another store and tried out the bass that they had and it didn't feel anything like the first one. Basses vary so much from one to the other.

9. gahpg

gahpg

Jun 30, 2007
    Brookfield IL
    Only with fender!

How about getting your own Squier VM J? If you like the one your wife has why not get one for yourself? I know it's no Geddy Lee, but it's still a damn good jazz bass.

(Am I weird for being happy with one bass? :bag:)

10. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I totally agree with that, the only problem is that if I get cash in my hands it always gets diverted towards bills. If you have a wife you might know what I'm talking about. I try to keep gear money invested towards other gear if I can. I have sold gear in the past to pay for bills and I've always felt regret about that.
    But I hear ya.

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I just did the same thing for a Pedulla. Traded 3 basses and cash. It's only been a few days, but man, I love this Pedulla.

12. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    All of my basses are active and you get a totally different vibe when you play a passive jazz. You can really dig into the strings and get a nice dirty crunch. So I figured that I could go and try out one of the Squier VM J's since I have read all of the rave reviews here on TB. I was planning on trading one of my basses that I hardly play anymore for it if I liked it. It sounded great but the action was really high, so I asked my salesman buddy if he could get me an allen wrench to adjust it. While I was waiting for him I decided to pick up the Geddy Lee which is another highly rated Fender bass and I was blown away. Right away it felt like an extension of myself which is rare when you pick up an instrument for the first time. Then I started to try and figure out a way to get it without spending cash and the only way would be to trade a large portion of my bass collection since most of it doesn't hold a high resale value.

And no, you are not weird for being happy to have just one bass.
    I ended up with ten basses because I played in a band for the past 8 years and spent most of my gig money on basses and gear. I've bought four inexpensive basses just to play on stage because my two prized expensive basses were getting abused by 3hr sets every weekend and I wanted to keep them nice. Another two of my basses are keepsakes, one being my first real bass that I had ever played and one I bought to replace a bass that I lost in highschool that I really missed. I also have a 12 String bass that I use to record with and jam along with King's X songs and the last bass is a cheap acoustic bass that I play around the house so I don't piss off the neighbors.