Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard to find basses in Australia

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hyperlitem, May 27, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello all Australian talkbassers

I will be making a trip to your fine country in july and spend 5 monthes there. I pretty much cannot live without a bass which goes without saying. My parents suggested i get a hard to find bass there and bring it with me, then sell it there. Are there any basses i could make a profit selling to a store there cuz they are so hard to get in Australia? Ill be in Sydney if that helps. Thanks guys.

2. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    maybe a gecko.... since they are made here in the mountains in new south wales... other than that there arent too many options there are some ok luthiers around the place i think there was a good western australian one... but unless you got like 6 grand to fork out for a gecko i wouldnt bother

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i guess i need to clarify myself. What basses are hard to get in Australia that i could easily get in the US? Like how hard are stingrays or american bassses to get over there? If i bought say an american jazz bass would i be able to sell it for more there, as to make it worth my trip of taking it over there.

4. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    wait my bad anhting, fender are heaps over priced here same as ricks, warwick anyhting high end i think a musicman retails for 3 grand... basically anyhting made in the USA

altho australia is pretty lame with guitars you can get anyhting if its ordered the oly brands ive never seen are probably modulus, conklin, could try buying a warmoth gecko n selling it here since i said they are about 6 grand from the guy that makes em... USA fenders would go for a fair heap i should think

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    another option is if anyones willing to somewhat commit to buying this bass in australia and letting me play it for a few monthes that would save them shipping and ill sell it to them for what i paid or a little less. If any australian talkbassers need a new bass and dont want to pay all the import costs and such id be willing to make a deal.

6. thomas85

thomas85

Mar 25, 2004
    yeah you might need to wait a while for some other replies coz its 3am here now but im sure maybe someone will want one coz its worth it, the main cost is shipping not tax, as ive been told its only 10% customs which is **** all but the most common ones ppl woul want are stingrays and warwicks maybe USA fenders (jsut so you know a MIM P bass goes for about 1400AUD) maybe you should tray amps... beacuase they are proably the most expensive thing over here as theres only really 4 brands to choose Marshall Peavey some Hartke and this crapy aussie brand ashton - look round ebay.com.au to get an idea of what we got and the prices

7. netvampire

netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
    Australia
    4 brands ??????????????what about (ampeg,swr,eden,mesa,fender,G&K,labsystem,quake,hughs and kettner.(stingrays and warwicks i think are fairly common around, maybe something like a sadowsky,mtd,fodera maybe even a kubicki.

8. All that comes to mind is Sadowsky.

Maybe a Lakland.

9. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Ok!!!

Try-
    Roscoe (I have the only one of them in Australia to my knowledge)
    MTD
    Fodera
    Alembic
    Sadowsky
    Pedulla
    Zon
    Modulus
    Tobias
    etc....
    Basically anything American is hard to get here or WAY over priced if you can get it here.
    I could sell my Roscoe and make twice what i paid for it just to give you an example.
    Look me up when you get here!!!!

10. over here you would be realistically looking at a sell time of months, especially for a boutique bass.

You might get lucky, and sell it in a day, you may end up takin it home again......

A fender strat would be a different story....

11. CONKLIN GT-7! PRONTO! Lol.
    Thanks
    Troy

12. andy_p6

andy_p6

Apr 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Like others have said - all the high end boutique basses are very difficult to find here in Aus, and stores would rarely stock them because of their enormous cost if you could buy them. I played a gig 2 weeks ago with a guy who had a modulus fretless (bought from the usa) and it was the most awesome sounding bass i had heard, probably because the best basses I had seen in stores are usa fenders or stingrays. In Brisbane i have never seen a sadowsky, lakland, fodera, tobias etc but I'd love to try them if they were available. However in my local stores a usa fender is out of most people's price range, and they tend to sit on shelves for a long time.

You wouldn't make much (or any) money selling to a store, but the potential is there to make a profit on a private sale. However, like lukaas said, it could take months to sell a bass advertised over AU$3 or $4k. I've been trying to sell a mint condition G&L L2000 in the local rag for AU$1900 ($3600 retail) for 6 weeks and had almost no interest.

Having said that, I've got my eye on a fender roscoe beck V which i'm looking to get from the states. I should keep you posted. :D

13. In sydney i know we have dealers for sadowsky, lakland, and alembic. Maybe a zon or modulus would be a safer bet if you want to sell it afterwards. Theres not much selection for us in graphite neck basses so i'd imagine you'd be able create some interest with one of those two.

14. Your best bet would possibly to get something nice and higher end, especially like the Zon, Mod or Roscoe.

In your favor is the 5 months, its a while. But if I may point something out, there's a reason you can't get some brands, and thats because there's no market. This isn't wholly applicable to you because if you have a market of one, you're set.

There's probly a bigger market for amps and stuff if you can do it for a nicer price, stuff like that is pretty nasty down here. The only problem you have is I don't think warranties will apply.

I'll do some thinking, I need to get some gear but I don't have a lot of dosh...but that's probly your best bet, to see if you can line up a personal sale. You may not make as much but you've got a higher chance of a sale.

Josh D

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    x2

Especially with the looking up thingy. ;)

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I will just echo what others have been saying - you are going to find it very hard to move a high end bass in Aust unless you have a lot of time to wait or a customer lined up.

Your idea about working up a deal with someone in Aus about picking up a bass, bringing it to Aus and selling it to them after a few months is a really good idea.

Contrary to what everyone is saying, if money is your game, you best bet is to buy a used USA Jazz bass, (particularly a 70's vintage), bring in in to Aus and offload it here. You will make a hell of a lot more than if you buy a new boutique (read: unheard of in Aus) instrument and try to sell it.

There was a Sadowsky 24F 5string in Aus a few months back that took over two months to sell (if it did) - I saw the as running for 2 months. You just dont have the boutique market here to move a expensive bass quickly (and you will probably lose money) - you are better off buying a used Fender in the US and selling it here - you will definately come out much better off.

I think most of the people posting here are posting their wish lists - but how many would be prepared to slap down the $3-4K Aus to pay for a used one? Chances are none.

$0.02

17. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I would!! If it was a bass i wanted i wouldnt hesitate to throw down big bills to buy it. If the price was good id be in. But if it had the REDICULOUS mark up basses in australia get then alot of people will shy away from it.
    You know for a fact Mark, that sometimes it actually works out cheaper to import it and pay the duties.

18. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i talked to a guy a couple of days ago about this but he hasnt emailed me back. I think the thing with my making any money doing this, you guys are taking the wrong way. I feel like everyone on this website is very cool and i want to help you out in any way. I discussed with Brett about getting a bass for him here, then seeing if hed let me borrow one of his beaters or sumthing in return for me bringing the bass over. Id ideally like to do something like that cuz im not really wanting to make any money, just help one of you guys out. I wont be charged sales tax and duties cuz ill just say its my bass im bringing to play. I just will go insane without something to play while im there for 5 monthes so im trying to work something out. I def dont want to make a bunch of money on one of you guys, just help someone out.

19. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I agree, however you actually need someone who has the money and is willing to buy *right now* for this to work. Its all well and good to have people saying - you should bring in a Sadowsky - however if no one is actually prepared in a few months time, to spend the $3500 to purchase it, then you have a really nice oar! :)

20. robe

robe

Oct 19, 2003
    Australia-Brisbane
    Stingrays and fender strats are relly expensive over her, but they are easy to find. So maybe a modulus or sumfin like that.