1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard-to-find Fender paint color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djwackfriz, Aug 10, 2007.

1. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    For a while I've been planning a refinish of my old, busted-up Peavey Foundation (actually my THIRD Foundation :eyebrow: )

I REALLY want to do Agave Blue with a white pearloid pickguard. The pickguard is no problem with a tracing and a custom job, but the real issue has been finding a supplier of Agave Blue paint, specifically in aerosol.

Re-ranch has lots of colors but not that one. Anyone know a supplier of Fender paint that carries Agave Blue?

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    its going to be extremely hard to find unless you can find the color coding and have someone mix it up.

But in a aerosol can thats going to be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Your best bet is to get as close as you can, you probably wont find a exact duplication in aerosol.

Good luck if you do find it make sure you let us know where.. :)

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Agave Blue isn't a "traditional" Fender color - as far as I know they never used it before 2005-ish, and even then it was only on the MIM instruments. It's not a good old standy Fender color like Olympic White, Sherwood Green, etc., so you may find yourself hard pressed to find someone who has it.

I agree with IC - you'll probably just have to try out a few different colors on scrap wood and get as close as you can get!

4. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Ahaaa... that's disappointing.

Well, my uncle is a mechanic, maybe he can help me mix something up that's close... we'll see.

If anyone else has any ideas, please share!

5. Don't know where to tell you to find Agave Blue. I love it too and was blessed by the UPS man yesterday with an Agave Blue Fender P.

Have you tried speaking with someone at Fender yet? They may have some ideas for you. I'm sure there would be at least an email addy at their site. Never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

BlueAgaveFender1.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I think your best bet is a auto store like autozone or something and try color matching with cars.

A ton of fender original colors were originally car paint colors. Somewhere down the line someone had to make a color close to that for a car, and touch up paint in aerosol will/should be available.

7. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    You have yourself a beauty there!

8. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a 2002 or 2003 MIM Jazz fretless in that color. I'll bet you could get a pretty good match if you went to a paint store that supplies auto paints.

You'll need a sample to take along, and photos are tricky: depending on the light the color looks bluer or more silver or darker or lighter.

The actual name is "blue agave" according to Fender. It's listed as color code #29 on their website chart. If you click on it you get an image of a Strat in that color, but to my eye it looks a deeper blue than the color on my bass...which could be faded, after all.

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Ice blue metallic is similar, and I think is a lot prettier.

10. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I'm starting to agree, it's more available too.

By the way, I just checked out your band, you guys are awesome!:hyper:

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    One guy I know that has a lead on the EXACT and actual paint is Jimmy at Allleva Coppolo.. His paint guy used to paint for fender in the 60s and 70s.. he does EXACT fender vintage colors....I have never seen better authentic paint in Nitro or Poly than his paint guy... contact jimmy if you want through the alleva site.. www.allevacoppolo.com I dont know if his paint guy sells paint if he did it would be expensive because it is the real stuff that he still has stock on..

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Is this Blue?
    BlueAgaveFender1. [/QUOTE]

Mine looks similar (albiet your pic might make it look more green than it really is). Is mine the same colour or is it surf green? My pic is a pretty close representation of the actual colour of my bass.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

jazzV.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In that picture your five string looks like Sage Green to me.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Thanks! I have no clue what colour it is as I bought it used.

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
  16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's my best guess, in any case. That color came out the same year as Agave Blue, which was the year after they discontinued the "Midnight" colors.

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Sage green was only in MIMs. The 5-string in the picture is an older American Deluxe, and that color was some sort of turquoise metallic. Sage green is a light green, with very little blue in it, if any, and blue agave is more greyish/purpleish than green, so you wouldn't confuse a blue agave with any type of greenish finish.

The P-Bass on Baird's post looks like sage green.

18. the 5er is teal green metallic

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Years ago when I repainted my car, I had the left over paint made into aerosol cans. I don't know if auto paint dealers can do that any more, but I suspect that they can (no pun intended).

You need to find a suitable color sample [like a Fender instrument at your local dealer with a return policy ; - ) ] and have the auto paint store match it.

The trick would be to know if Fender spray Agave colored instruments with a special color primer... I know some vintage Fender colors were sprayed over a silver base coat, etc.

You might try looking in the Fender Forum....http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had something that was ice blue......

64Galaxie01b.

...it just wasn't a bass.