1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard to find Speaker. Other options welcome.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terr0rgasm, Nov 28, 2016.

1. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello everyone.

I have an Ampeg PR-1528 bass cab, which seems to be pretty rare, as I can find very little info on it.... It has two 8" 100W 8 Ohm speakers as well as a 15" and a tweeter. Recently the left 8" has been popping and crackling. Ive been looking online for replacement speakers which match the specs (8 inch, 8 ohms 100W) and its been surprisingly hard....

The closest I have found are:
    -Same size, same ohms, but 125W (also doesnt specify if for Gtr or Bass)
    Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

-Same everything, but claims to be a PA speaker specifically.
    Celestion TF0818 8" 100-Watt Low Freq Pressed Chassis Ferrite PA Speaker

Recommendations? Tips? Anything is appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. I put the Eminence Alpha 15A's in one of my old Ampeg bass cabs and it sounds amazing.

3. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Its the 8 inch im looking to replace, not the 15.

Im wondering if replacing a 100W with a 125 or higher would mess things up as long as the Ohms are the same?

4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

FYI, the internal crossover from lows to mid/highs is 200Hz. The mid to high crossover is 4k. I don't know if they only use a high pass on the tweeter, or a full crossover between mids and highs. Frequency for biamping (which I assume bypasses the low/mid crossover) is suggested between 100 and 300Hz.

Either speaker will likely work well. They have the same efficiency. If the 4k crossover rolls the highs off the 8', it shouldn't matter. If it lets the high end of the 8" run free, the Emi lists 5k as the highs and the Celestion lists 6k. I didn't see the graph of each.

BlacknWhite likes this.
  5. Steve Dallman

Power handling is fine. 125 watts is a slight upgrade. Power to the cabinet is probably limited by what the crossover can handle.

terr0rgasm and BlacknWhite like this.
  6. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    So the Wattage of the speaker is just what it can HANDLE, so higher is always better as long as the impedance is the same?

honestjohnny likes this.
  7. The eminence are good sounding and you can't beat the price

terr0rgasm likes this.
  8. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
  9. I almost bought one of them from guitar center earlier this year. Yeah man you should be fine as long as you match up the speaker impedance and it has the same or more wattage.

terr0rgasm likes this.
  10. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Awesome..... Any difference between a Bass specific speaker and one that claims to be for a PA?

11. Steve Dallman

Since the low end is rolled off at 200Hz (slope unknown) either of those speakers will be fine, bass or PA...doesn't matter in this application. The 15 will handle the low end.

terr0rgasm and BlacknWhite like this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    That's a pretty robust 8" driver being used, I suggest talking to Ampeg and getting the original driver if still available. Otherwise, they may be able to give you a better substitute than the guesses you have been receiving.

13. Rick James

Rick James Inactive

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Chances are the original is an Eminence OEM, and chances are even better that the Alpha 8 is better than the original. You just need to be sure that the original isn't a closed back, that would mean replacing it with the Alpha 8 MRA.

14. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Why don't you get it repaired?
    The guys are awesome: Freeman Tuell (214) 324-1132. They're in Dallas, TX. I've had great luck with them.

whodom likes this.
  15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Except for the fact that the original is built on the Beta series metal work and is MUCH more robust than the Alpha series.

16. I use aftermarket eminence speakers in my cabs. I'm pretty sure both celestion and faital make 8s that would work.

17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I'm positive that either of those speakers would work well in the cab. At $90 for a pair of Alphas, perhaps change out both 8s and keep the original good one as a spare-it may start to fail soon, too, if pushed.
    I would favor the Emminence just because I feel there would be better bang for the buck over the Celestion. I weighs a pound less, too.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Don't be so fast to replace the speaker. You first have to determine if the speaker has an issue.

Popping and crackling does not necessarily mean that the speaker is bad. Switch the wiring on the two 8" speakers and see if the noise moves to the other speaker. If yes, the problem is not the speaker. If no, remove the offending speaker and examine it carefully. See if there is any foreign matter in there.

This might be as simple as a loose connection somewhere between the crossover and the speaker. On the wire from the crossover, check that the spade connectors on the speaker tabs tight. Check that the wire connections at the crossover are good.

19. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    "Is it plugged in?" is always a good place to start troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

agedhorse likes this.
  20. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Its definitely plugged in.... Just the top left 8" pops loudly on the loudest notes on the low E....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021