Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hard to get Jaco CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Has anyone heard of this Jaco Pastorious CD, called, "Curtain Call"? If so, is it a good one? Why. or why not?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have it.......it's one of the better Jaco boot's! It's basicly him doing a pick-up gig, and it was one of his last sober periods! There are sone nice solos on there and the sound quality is way better than the N.Y.C. boot's! Another pretty good one from that same period is 'Standards Zone';)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    My .02-
    Curtain Call is "OK"...not essential unless you're a completist.
    Save yer bucks for the soon-to-be-released Rhino box...or the Bobbings' box(whatever decade that is).

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Bobbings box was in last months Bassics magazine........a year after last years Bassplayer and Jazziz covers.......it has to be the worst planning for a media release I've seen! Who's going to pay any attention when it does get released:oops:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    That Bassics issue seemed to say a Rhino box(2 cds) is due out "next Spring"...which is a couple months away.
    Do you know if that's accurate?

Agreed...I so whelmed by this BB Portrait Of Jaco thing.

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I haven't seen a release date for the Rhino box yet Jim........Rhino usually does a good job on it's re-releases!

7. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Well, if Rhino is releasing the complete live recordings with his "Punk Jazz Trio"(w/H.Bullock, et al.), then I may just wait and get that boxed set instead. That Bassics issue CD was quite impressive. It opened my eyes to some new artists to check out. I actually dug EVERY song on it.

8. When did his un-sober period begin? Is the Birthday Concert in his sober period or no? cuz that is an awesome cd (sorry ive been advertising it so much as of late but I just got it Monday and it is THE BEST CD I have ever bought, well except my MC HAMMER "Too legit to quit" CD.....).

9. If you can get a copy grab it. I enjoy hearing Jaco in this setting, playing standards, playing a laid back 'casual' gig not feeling like he has to be the baddest bass player ever. It's funny/sad to me because it's recorded on Halloween and he says that it his birthday. Maybe not essential but certainly enjoyable.

10. I think I bought my Curtain Call while I was spending $800 @ Tower Records in Tokyo...

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "The birthday concert" is a great disc...I hear "invitation" is just as good(or that it has some better takes on it) but thats really hard to come by...gotta import.

REZA! its all about REZA!!!!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got both Invitation - which was very easy and cheap to get over here! - and the Birthday Concert. I prefer the Birthday Concert - I just like the sound and the band better - although Jaco is probably on better form for Invitation.

But most of the bootlegs are just depressing and anyway - the Pastorius family have asked people not to buy them and I would always respect their wishes.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Did I say any different?

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    rhino box? what rhino box? whats the story on this? i havent heard anything about it.

maybe bobbing is waiting for the ten year anniversery of him announcing the box set to release it. its been what, six years since that issue of bass player?

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    narud-
    If you have the recent Bassics issue with Jaco the cover...read it & lemme know!
    As I was asking Jerry a few posts back-
    It seems the article is saying there's Bobbing's box set AND a Rhino 2-cd set(called Punk Jazz or something) due "next Spring"...which at the time of this issue(December) makes "next Spring" = next month!
    I dunno...

I was perusing Tom Stroud's fine Jaco site-
    He's listing Curtain Call as a boot...I bought mine a few years ago from a local retailer(& I haven't seen it since!).

17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I remember reading that they where going to put some of 'Holoiday For Pans' in the Rhino box. I'm looking foward to the Rhino box more than the Bobbings one now;)

18. It just looked to me that you were referring to the 2 cds in question were bootlegs. If not mea culpa.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Yes he says :

"This discography chronicles some of Jaco's recording and performance career.
    It is compiled with completeness and accuracy in mind, and to arrange everything into a chronological order, but NOT to encourage buying bootleg recordings, some of which may disappoint you."

http://members.aol.com/tomstr/jacodiscog.html

20. A comprehensive list if not entirely accurate. It seems odd to list Curtain Call as a bootleg but the Live in NYC series are legit, both stem from clandestine recordings that were not 'approved' by Jaco but belonged to other musicians involved. Oh well. .