Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard to keep an even volume with my fingers!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ulf_kurt, Aug 13, 2000.

1. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Hi!

I have a slight ploblem when I play with my fingers. I find it hard to keep an even "volume". With a pick there's no problem hitting the string with the same amount of power all the time, but it's harder with my fungers. Maybe I use the wrong technique when playing fingerstyle.(?)

Anyone had this problem?
    Suggestions how to work on it?

cheers Ulf/

2. I don´t completely understand your question...

do u mean that there´s not an even volume between fingers? like louder when you play with index than middle and ring or opposite...

i don´t really have an answer but maybe someone else does... at least if you can describe your problem better. :)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey ulf

consistent and controlled finger dynamics is something that takes a lot of practice to achieve and maintain - one of the hardest things about playing fingerstyle is consistent dynamics.

just work on it - the best way would be to practice playing the same volume level along with a metronome, and record yourself. when you think you have it even, listen to the tape.

when working on something like this, it's best to record oneself as one is practicing - while you are playing something may sound fine, but when you listen to it you will hear things that are wrong that you didn't hear before.

good luck

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ulf-
    I get your problem...your finger volume is INCONSISTENT, right? If so, is it "inconsistent" from the get-go or does it(the "volume")lessen over the course of the song?
    If it's the latter, then it's only a strength issue; if it's the former, then it's as JT sez, practice while paying close attention to what you're doing. Scruntinize yourself; if possible, record your playing & take note of what's happening.
    Too, typically, as a player plays faster, he will tend to play "harder"(ie "louder"). Unless that's the desired effect, watch out for that...it takes some discipline to battle that one! :D

5. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    You got it just right JimK.

The inconsistency (spelling?)also seems to increase with the speed. Slow songs usually works pretty well.

Thanks for the input!

cheers ULF/

6. Col_Forbin

Col_Forbin

Aug 14, 2000
    when you practice, play slow...play slow enough so that you can be consistent with your fingers and also with the music...start out playing at the speed you WANT to play, and then slow down to a point where it's clean...playing scales slowly with long tones also helps you out a lot too...

7. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    its a cliche but its so true...."Practice makes perfect."