1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hard to let go...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by p0werslav3, Apr 24, 2009.

1. p0werslav3

p0werslav3 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Has anyone gone through the following?

I have a bass (Warwick Corvette) that I'm thinking of selling, but I'm at war with myself.

I've found that this bass just isn't that much fun to play for me (it used to be) but I just can't seem to let it go. It's just so beautiful and does produce a good tone, but I know I'm not going to really play it. It just doesn't "feel" that good to me anymore.

I "want" to love this bass, I really do, but I just can't seem to. I wanted a Warwick for a long time, but it's like I'm trying to force myself to love it LOL

You build up a piece of equipment in your head for a long time and then find out the reality is it didn't live up to your preconceived expectations, but darn if you're going to let it go since you've GAS'd for it for so long :p

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It's just a bass.

And one you don't like playing to boot.

Sell it and get another one. You'll live and maybe enjoy yourself a little more in the end too.

3. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I thought that of most basses I've sold. After I do I don't miss them, except that Peavey Cirrus.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Let it go. It deserves a good home. And there's a bass waiting around the corner that wants to come home with you.

5. p0werslav3

p0werslav3 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I figured it out. I'll keep the bass and mount it on the wall and call it art ;)

6. I just *let go* of a sweet ABG, a 73 Precision & a custom fretless 6. I didn't play them. Big deal.

7. If you really can't bring yourself to let it go why try to force yourself. If there is no immediate need there is no logic in unloading it. Besides, with the economy the way it is you probably won't lose anything by waiting. Hold on to it for another year , or until you no longer have reservations. I never understand letting go of a bass until you are sure you won't use it again, and it invariably costs more to replace something that you should have kept in the first place. It really sounds like you feel that you will regret selling your Warwick, so don't.

8. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi p0werslav3.

It would seem that your bass hasn't changed--you have.

The fact that you're having trouble parting with this instrument tells me that deep inside, you still want/need this bass--in case you change again.