Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hard to sell high-end bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Do any of you agree that it's tough to sell a high-end bass these days? :confused: I've had my Roscoe up on the GFS forum and bassgear.com and Harmony Central a few times over the last 4 months or so, and I've only had one really serious offer. And that fell through because he had to take his family to Disneyworld! (I'd value my family more than a bass too, BTW)

Anyway, I posted it with a pic, and have a web page with a bunch more, and I have given everyone that asks very detailed information when they ask. I've even offered to upgrade the electronics. All I get are a few "would you trade straight up for a Squire P-bass?" kind of responses. After all 375 people have looked at the ad (yeah it's pretty) but of the 8 responses I think I posted 4 of them.

One guy was salivating pretty heavy, but when I wouldn't agree to a COD, he evaporated too. :rolleyes:

Doesn't anyone out there buy $1k+ basses online?

(sorry for the rant - I just had to get it out of the system):spit:

2. Guess not. :)

The higher up the payscale you go with basses, the smaller the market is for that bass. Personally I would love to buy every bass I could, but my checking account probably wouldn't keep up with me for very long.

3. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Have you tried Ebay? I see roscoe basses selling for that price. The SKB model seems to bring more money. But I have played on both body styles and find them very nice. I'd like a six string.

Yes it can be hard selling high end basses online. I like to play on basses before I buy them.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, it is more difficult to sell high-end instruments because you have a smaller customer base. If you really want to sell it, I can make the following suggestions:

1. Increase the number of places that you are advertising this instrument. Off the top of my head, I can think of eBay, The Dudepit and BassViews.
    2. Sell the instrument on consignment through a dealer. Sometimes dealers can find buyers that individuals can't.
    3. Lower your asking price. If it won't sell at the price you are asking, then lowering the price will make the instrument more attractive to people. At some point, someone will not be able to resist.
      [/list=1]

I sympathize with you and wish you the best of luck.

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Put it on ebay.

I have always sold my gear for what I wanted and more on ebay.

I have never sold anything (even though I have tried) on Talkbass, Bassgear or Harmony Central.

You get alot of people kicking the tires, put not many buyers.

You have a very large audience to look at your bass.

The fees suck, put build that into your price.

Good Luck

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll agree with sincity, I've had the most consistent luck selling stuff on ebay.

As everyone has said, the higher the price the smaller your market is. There are much fewer people willing to drop $2K on an instrument than are willing to drop $200.

Part of it also is brand recognition. Warwicks are well known, so seem to sell fairly quickly. Whereas other brands such as Roscoe, Elrick etc are less well known so that reduces the potential buyer pool again. That's great for buyers, because it means better deals for them but it sucks if you're the seller.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Good luck selling a Tune. They are VERY well made basses but they are a bite in the ass to sell - and not just the Maniacs, either.

8. hihg end bass3s arnt pUnK enuff.

9. Thanks Kaz, I don't know how we'd get along without intelligent types like you.:rolleyes:

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This about sums it up. I'd also explore the route of trade ins to if your looking to sell it to buy other gear. Also something no ones mentioned is selling it on commission. BassNW for example does this and is fairly quick on their turn over time, especially on harder to find items. Though I'm not sure what they add on to or take from the final sale.:)
    Try e-mailing Gard since bass central might also do this. I believe they actually carry Roscoe's though someone else might be able to confirm this for sure.

11. The only argument for using eBay is the intangible aspect of COMPETITION. You get people on there who want it, and set their minds on a certain price, then they see their chances slipping away because someone else wants it too. You don't get that competition with a classified ad or selling it in a store.

Last time I sold something, as an experiment, I put the RESERVE at $200 more than I reall expected to get for it. It sold $305 higher than the reserve after lively bidding over the last 3 hours. I got $505 more than I had originally thought I'd get and $505 more than I had it advertised in the classifieds for 4 months.

eBay it. It'll go.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    well i just bought a bass (pedulla thunderbass t5) online from a failed ebay listing for over $1000 ... he had 100% feedback with over 200 rating....

too bad teh bass wasnt as he claimed....came withdings down the neck although he said "neck is perfect".... said it had a couple nicks in the back.. fair enough.. although he failed to mention they went throughthe finish... and there are a couple scratches on he front, all this from a bass that was claimed to be "only played a couple times"

d=

that sort of killed my faith on high-end basses online

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    It's called a joke, lighten up.

14. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Is there an online forum for bassists in your city or state?

eBay has its advantages, but most ppl aren't willing to spend that much on a bass they can lay their hands on.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I agree. eBay it. I ebay everything anymore. The classifieds rarely ever come thru for me so to the bay everything goes. My items always sell within the week and I'm rid of whatever I have in a short period of time. I've given up on the romantic notion that one of my brothers on TB or Bassgear will buy my item and reinvent the bass guitar. :) They never do. So, let everyone else have a shot, even if they turn it into firewood, I got my money... ;)

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    BT,
    There are guys out there who specialize in that market. I sold my Fodera through a guy who has a very loyal customer base for high end instruments. Also check out Roscoe dealers, they might have a market for a used one. Here are some ideas for places to consign it or sell it:

Bass NW
    Bass Alone
    Austin Bass Traders
    Bass Palace

Mike

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Oh yeah - The Perfect Bass, whose ad is sitting right next to this thread is a Roscoe dealer

Mike

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Basstrader,
    If found that your best bet is to work trades. You loose less money and get much better deals on the equipment you trade for. Everyone wins. I've seen your Roscoe and it has a nice top. I think maybe the fact that it's not a traditional Roscoe with the sculptured top may hurt the resale some.

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I agree as a dealer that it can be tuff. Even name like Warwick, Modulus, etc. can be very tuff to move because the value on the instruments have dropped so much over the years with the number of manufactured units out for sale new & used. The competition for the best price has heightened substantially. The best bet when trying to sell instruments, if there not a high turn over priced item is to trade for something you like. Dealers will always work a little better with the instrument coming in as a trade-in straight across or trade-in plus cash verse buying it out right.

There are exceptions if the bass is just something the dealer doesn’t want or feels he might have to update parts, electronics, etc to bring it up to the current product being built or either the price must be quite a bit lower to compete with current models being built.

Ebay as well as consignment are both great ideas. With consignment’s you might want to check around at different dealer’s site and see the different fee setup.

Best of luck,
    Brian

20. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i'm having trouble selling my fender mark hoppus signature.